Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Imr 4895 55gr 223

Peebles24

So according to my old speer reloading manual their most accurate load for 55gr fmjbt is 25.1 gr of imr4985. Has anyone tried this? My chrony should be here tomorrow so i plan to test it and some 38 special loads. Im hoping for nice low recoil load on both the 223 for 3 gun.

I have not used IMR4895 with 55's but it was my most accurate load with 69 Sierra's. Only problem is it does not meter worth beans on a Dillon powder measure.  I actually had squibs due to bridging in the powder measure so had to weigh each load. I have since changes to ball powders. 

12 hours ago, Don_B said:

I have not used IMR4895 with 55's but it was my most accurate load with 69 Sierra's. Only problem is it does not meter worth beans on a Dillon powder measure.  I actually had squibs due to bridging in the powder measure so had to weigh each load. I have since changes to ball powders. 

I use lee press and seems to be measuring with the autodisk within .2 gr avg after 10+ test.

8 hours ago, Peebles24 said:

I use lee press and seems to be measuring with the autodisk within .2 gr avg after 10+ test.

That is good. 

I haven't had very good luck with the long grain powder in the Dillon. But it does

very well with ball powder.