Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ramshot Competition & Precision Delta

ErikW

Nothing worn out about my dies when Montana Gold and Armscor bullets shoot excellent groups at consistent velocities with N320.

Competition does meter kind of weird, though, and seems to be very clingy or staticy. It's hard to nail it down to a tenth of a grain.

Also, I'm not discounting chronograph problems, though I'm using two different chronos. I might construct some kind of box for my Chrony.

You might be having some problems with your powder bar, unless competition works consistantly with the montana golds. I remember that one of my powder measures had enough slop in it that AA#2 would not meter worth a damn, but all of the extruded powders would work fine. I tacked it down to powder working its way out around the charge bar when the bar moved to the drop position. It was hard to spot since the powder was being dropped off of the bar on the far side of the measure. But even then I only saw a 0.2-0.3 grain disparity, and #2 is a much finer powder. When I switched measures, I could never measure a difference worth mentioning between charges. And I never had any static problems with Competition here or in Montana that I can remember.

Nothing worn out about my dies when Montana Gold and Armscor bullets shoot excellent groups at consistent velocities with N320.

Well, that was one reason I asked. I know you have talked about getting erratic results at various matches (enough so that you bumped your load up quite a bit, right?).

I was just wondering if you somehow weren't getting consistent results?

I brought my N320 load as a control today and it hit 179 as expected.

With the PD 180 loaded to 1.155" over 4.6-4.7 gr Competition: 904 912 931 905 921

With the PD 180 loaded to 1.18" over 4.8 gr Competition: 908 935 883 935 892

Maybe there is something to it needing to be loaded short (bullet base against powder at about 1.15"). Five rounds isn't enough, a 890 fps round could slip in on the sixth or tenth round.

Interesting that I could feel extra snap in the short rounds.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...