Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 toolhead questions + some other ?

Wife bought me a 650 for Christmas. It has everything in the base package for 45ACP except dies.  I have RCBS dies at home so I'm ready for 45ACP. Are the aftermarket toolheads of good quality? I see them on E Bay and on the Dillon Exchange on Facebook. I want to set up 3 other set-ups for 9mm, 40S&W and 38Special.

We are in Phx so I'll pay Dillon a visit tomorrow for a casefeed, 9mm die set, small parts kit and toolheads/changeover kits for the calibers I need. I have 7/8 X 14 dies for everything else and have 2 Dillon powder measures. I'm changing over from 2 SDB's and plan to sell them when we get home.

Thx in advance for your input.

I have several of the ebay tool heads on my 650 and they work just fine. 

If you're looking for a compete caliber change-over (to include powder measure) setup, it may be more cost effective to pick-up the 'quick change' setup from Dillon.  I have several tool heads setup like this.  This allows me to have a 'set' configuration tool head/powder measure for my dialed in loads and another one to play around with.

4 hours ago, muncie21 said:

I have several of the ebay tool heads on my 650 and they work just fine. 

If you're looking for a compete caliber change-over (to include powder measure) setup, it may be more cost effective to pick-up the 'quick change' setup from Dillon.  I have several tool heads setup like this.  This allows me to have a 'set' configuration tool head/powder measure for my dialed in loads and another one to play around with.

Agreed on the "quick change" recommendation.

I do use a "Harvey" decapper before cleaning my brass-works great if you have time.

I stopped at Dillon's world HQ yesterday. Bought a casefeeder and some caliber changes to get me started. Still need to buy 3 toolheads. After I sell my SDB's I'll buy the rest of the goodies. Thanks for all the input and advise.

For future reference, I put a Lee decapping in a 650 tool head by itself.  When I get ready to reload a caliber, I set up the press with everything but that caliber's tool head, load up the hopper with brass and run them through the decapping die.  It's lightning fast, literally about 1 sec for each, which equates to about 50 a minute. Then it's off to the wet tumbler, cleaned, dried and back in the hopper to get loaded.