Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripod?

michael_aos

I finally bought a spotting scope. Something general-purpose; for shooting, as well as camping and maybe hunting.

Now I need a good tripod. I've tried a couple inexpensive models and I just haven't been happy with them at all.

I've hit some birdwatching and "optics" sites, but the array of options and vast price differences scared me.

Any suggestions on a "good" tripod?

Mike

I had the same issues when I bought my CED chronograph-I wanted something nicer than the standard CED tripod for use with my camcorder also. I researched the choices and prices for camera/video tripods and was so confused that I decided to buy the CED 1555 Professional model. I have been very pleased with it so far. At 9 pounds it will be heavy if you are planning on packing it on a hunting trip, but otherwise it should fit your needs.

What *kind* of tripod? Full size or compact?

Fortunately for me, there's a camera shop near me that sells used gear. I bought a Bogen Manfrotto and a fluid-pan head for a VERY good price. I think the tripod was $75 and in perfect condition. I am ecstatically happy with it.

I would look very hard at a Bogen - it's the shit. At the very least, you want screw-type ring clamps on the legs. The cam-type clamps look cool, but go loose all too soon and pretty soon the tripod will hardly hold itself up. My cam-clamp tripod has been relegated to chrono duty. I can hardly wait to accidentally drill it with my 40 so I can buy a real tripod to replace it.

Remember that about 60-70% of the true performance of a tripod is related to the head that you put on it. And they're generally interchangeable, so it's possible to buy a bargain tripod and put a super-duper head on it and go home happy.

Full-size tripod.

It's a Zeiss 15-45x65mm.

We do have some big camera shops here in Colorado Springs, but again -- not a clue what I'm looking for / at.  I'll look into the Bogen stuff.

SI_SS_65_A.gif

That's a nice piece of glass. Bogen 3001 leg-set, or maybe 3021 for something a little beefier, and 3030 pan/tilt head with QR plate is an excellent choice for a solid piece of gear; once you start using quick-release, you won't want to go back.

Or, there's Gitzo -- especially if you want carbon-fiber, which is nice but commensurately expensive.

I kinda disagree with EricW that an expensive head on cheap legs can be acceptable; IMO, it's the other way around, but regardless -- I do think he's right that Bogen is the perfect entry point. I would buy nothing less.

Some decent online NYC vendors that are honest (but read the fine print!):

www.bhphotovideo.com

www.adorama.com

And, for used gear, too:

www.keh.com

OK, looking at Bogen. I see:

3221WN Wilderness Tripod - $169

tripod_3221wn.jpg

And then for heads:

The 3265 grip-action ball camera head ($95) looks interesting, but I bet its hard to control.

head_3265.jpg

The 3433 - 501 Pro Video Head ($139) specifically mentions spotting scopes:

head_3433.jpg

Mike

Bogen 3021, put a removable plate head on it...

as a commercial/legal photogpher, I used to go through a 3 or 4 tripods a year until I got the 3021 & 3051 series. I bought a pair of 3021's, one day to day and one for backup. The backup is still waiting for a call to go in...that was a lot of years ago. It's good medium weight tripod that can have leg weights (internal) added to for stability. It can handle a medium weight 400mm lens without a problem, for 600-800mm go for the 3051 and get a ball head...

michaels

Bogen 3021, put a removable plate head on it...

and get a ball head...

I gather the 3221WN is essentially identical to the 3021.

Tell me more about a ball-head?

Mike

The first "2" in the model number means it's black, and I think the WN has some padded legs, but all the 3*21*'s are about the same. They're solid as hell, though you might be able to get along just fine with a plain 3001.

Ballhead vs. pan-tilt -- I think that's a personal preference, and I guess if you're doing lots of wildlife viewing it makes sense. I've never used a spotting scope of my own, so I can only speak from 35mm/MF photo experience.

They're faster, but a cheap ballhead is infuriating, so you're looking at a couple hundred dollars....I had an Acratech, but in retrospect I wish I had spent the extra and picked up an Arca Swiss B1. Ideally you can set the tension so that the slightest pressure moves the lens, yet it doesn't move whatsoever when you lock it down.

Pan/tilt heads are much more reasonable in price, and I often found once one axis was accomodated, I only needed to move (pan or tilt) in the other, so it wasn't that much slower.

YMMV -- best to find a high-end camera store (not a Ritz) and play with their displays and models. A terrific resource, too, is "www.photo.net"

• 5 weeks later...