Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bench Shooting For Fundamentals

Beta

Ok here's the deal:

I've read Brian's principles of fundamentals and technique and went out and shot off a bench with my Caldwell deadshot bag I've used for rifles. What I did was lay it down on the side and then use that as a support for my forearms.

Obviously, this is not the most solid shooting position. What is the best method of shooting a pistol off of a bench?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

I don't know what the "best" method is, but lots of guys like to rest thier guns on sandbags. I think you should try shooting groups lots of different ways. Bench Rest, Freestyle, Weak hand, and Strong hand. Hell if I could, I would shoot groups standing on my head just to see what that was like.

I don't know what the "best" method is, but lots of guys like to rest thier guns on sandbags. I think you should try shooting groups lots of different ways. Bench Rest, Freestyle, Weak hand, and Strong hand. Hell if I could, I would shoot groups standing on my head just to see what that was like.

Right now, I'm trying to learn trigger control and shot calling via the bench shooting. I do practice the other ways, except on my head! :D

Only after you’ve mastered "benchrest calling," should you begin shooting offhand.