Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A question about stock2 hammer spring

Leohe8888

4 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Have not had the guns long enough to know how/if the hammer springs take a set & get weaker over time. Not something I worried about with any other guns but was not running things as close to the edge with those guns. Experiences? 

ALL springs take a set. They all weaken with each and every flex. Most guns are so ridiculously over sprung to ensure after thousands of cycles in a rough finished (and probably dirty) gun they will still work.  We polish and precisely fit and can reliably shave spring rate.

My "rule of thumb" is very light springs should be changed sooner than heavy ones.  2-3000 for a 10#. At that point, the springs have (guesstimate) lost 8-10% or close to a pound. Even in a superbly polished and correctly tuned gun, that is near the " point of no boom". A 13# can go 5-6000 before losing 10% and a 15.5 can go twice that (in my gun) and still be 100%. How far you let it drop depends on how well polished,  tuned and maintained the gun is.

I've polished and tuned my guns such that with fresh 15.5# springs they get DA 5# 10oz. After 10k cycles it's down to 5#8oz.  A 14 would put it low 5's and a 13 would be high 4's... but SA gets too too light.

Edited by johnbu