Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No $$$ For Books Yet!

Beta

Hi all!

I'm just starting to get serious about pistol shooting after my first IDPA match last weekend. I had a GREAT time even though my thumb safety broke (I had brought a spare safety, luckily!) on one stage.

What would you recommend for a new shooter as a weekly practice plan. Quite frankly, I don't know how to incorporate all the awesome training techniques I've been reading here!

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)

BTW, I will be sharing this with some other guys from work since we're all new pistol shooters.

By practicing the right things the right ways you will save yourself a ton of aggrivation down the road. Brian's book is a must have and it's CHEAP! The price could be tripple and still a deal.

Shoot groups for accuracy, do draws with hands relaxed at side and from surender, do turns with your draws, practice the types of reloads that you will encounter, draws from a table, shooting weak hand and strong hand, movement in and out of a shooting box. You can do most of these types of drills without ammo and get a good return on your time invested.

Have fun and watch out shooting bug is a bad one to catch - you don't get over it very easily.

Rick

By practicing the right things the right ways you will save yourself a ton of aggrivation down the road.  Brian's book is a must have and it's CHEAP!  The price could be tripple and still a deal.

Shoot groups for accuracy, do draws with hands relaxed at side and from surender, do turns with your draws, practice the types of reloads that you will encounter, draws from a table, shooting weak hand and strong hand, movement in and out of a shooting box.  You can do most of these types of drills without ammo and get a good return on your time invested. 

Have fun and watch out shooting bug is a bad one to catch - you don't get over it very easily.

Rick

You bet, I just meant for the next couple weeks! haha I'll be buying the book(s) next payday ;)

And I've always enjoyed shooting, but I just got a 1911 this year so now I'm REALLY into it. Also I can spend my time on my hobbies as I see fit, which is always fun - but a lot of my friends are married so I need a nice solo practice plan.

A friend of mine just got a Dillon 550 so we can load our own now as well.

Thanks for the replies folks! :)

PS: I just found Brian's Principles of Fundamentals & Technique - totally missed it before!! I'm a dumba**!! I now know where to start - FUNdamentals! :lol: