Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pecos Run-n-gun Biathalon

Not sure if this is the right forum to post on....or if anyone is even interested as this shooting event is different than what most of us think of as shooting competition, but here it is anyway:

From the match director:

A quick "heads up" on this years run n gun n  the sun:

Date:  September 4 (Sunday of Labor Day Weekend). Convoy to range will leave at approximately 0700 hrs (7 am National Guard Time), Mickey's Big Hand Pointing Up and Little Hand at the 7 (Air Force Time). We are doing it on Sunday of Labor Day weekend to give our out of town competitors an extra driving day.

Basics: 5.5 miles cross country and dirt road. 3-4 shooting stations.

Light Division -- loincloth and flip flops are fine. Water provided at shooting stations.

Heavy Division -- Kit must weigh 35 pounds. Kit includes boots, ruck, rifle, ammunition, etc... but NOT H20 and you must hump your own water. Competitors in this division may not accept help along the way either (carry your own rod to remove a stuck case, etc.)

Course of Fire:  We don't know. Trying to change things up this year and include one station that will be a linear range with several problems to be solved with proper application of firepower from different geographical locations. (Move, shoot, move, shoot, move and shoot, etc...) Also trying to incorporate time element into some or all of the courses of fire.

Pistols: Pistols will be legal to carry loaded and holstered. There may be a pistol element to the course, maybe just for the heavy division competitors, still working on it.

Banquet Sunday night.

Sponsors: None yet but we are hopeful. Last year Cavalry Arms, Practical Tactical and Spec Ops all sponsored the event by donating gear. First prize in both divisions was a Cav Arms AR-type polymer lower. Very nice. If you know of an outfit that might like to be associated with this event please point them my way, or vice versa.

Fee: $75 -- price includes nifty cool T-shirt, one meal at banquet and privilege of watching me puke in the desert.

Questions back to this address or call me:  432-943-4313 (Monahans) 432-445-5475 (Pecos) 432-445-5155 (Home) Take your best shot.

Smokey Briggs

Poobah of Stupid Events

Pecos Rifle Club

Not sure if we will be going this year due to other events that month. I went last year and it kicked my ass...but it was a good experience. It was hot (above 115) and humid, the terrain is rugged and you will go up and down hills over the winding course.

Round count was low...20 required shots. Some of the steel had a hard time falling, so I think I shot maybe 40 rounds. We reccomended they include an action shooting portion on the course if it was feasible, and it sounds like they are considering it. I think how long it took you to complete the course matterred more than how well you shot....some guys ran the whole way.

Last year I carried about twice as much water as I needed (2 100 oz camelbacks, and 2 1 quart canteens)...if I were to do it again I think I could plan my load out to be more efficient.

If you're within driving distance and in reasonable shape I think it's worth attending. We'll be sending some prizes along for the winners.

Man does that sound fun... Doubt I can make it, but would love to have a detailed match report from someone. I've really been wanting to duplicate that type of a match up here. With all the gated-off logging roads now, it just may be possible...

07.jpg

08.jpg

Shooting Position 1: 5 steel targets that must fall, target must be shot off hand.

Shooting position 2:

10.jpg

10 scored rounds on one of the targets...how accurate you shot either subtracted or added time to your score. Shooting Position Was Free Style.

Texas Wasteland:

11.jpg

12.jpg

The course swerved around, went up and down hills over rocks, some of it was on a hard rock/gravel road, lots of cactus and things that will sting or bite you.

13.jpg

Shooting position 3: Shooting from inside a bunker/dog house kind of thing must shoot 5 steel targets and have them fall. Targets that didn't fall added to your time.

I wish I had been able to get more pictures at the competition...but it was hard to do while walking the course. As I said I was pretty damn miserable by the end of it, but I was glad I did it and actually finished the course. Some people ran the whole course, some of us walked it, some people puked on the trail or passed out when they got across the finish line.

If one were doing this to be competitive, I believe shooting in light class would be the way to go.

The rules are somewhat different this year in that the weight for Heavy doesn't count water (last year it did, so the difference between running light or heavy was minimal)...if I carried a more reasonable amount of water, that would put my load out much closer to the actual required weight.

If I were to do it again, knowing what I know now, I'd do the following:

1) carry less water than I did because I have a better idea of how much I really need...still carry more than I needed though

2) Have gatorade powder to help replenish electrolytes...we were sweating out as fast as we drank

3) More comfortable insoles for my boots

4) Have some over the counter pain killers like Tylenol or Advil with me to take ahead of time or on the course (I think a good number of competitors did this last year)

I think as long as you actually finish in this competition you're doing good...beat all the people too scared to show up :P:D

You all are more crazyed than my group of long course match fanatics. Ours is only one and a half miles long and shot last of Sept. in KS. But is a comstock event with time and hits counting. Last years winning time 33min. with 1700 points.

Are the rules posted anywhere, such as bolt guns, bipods, ranging devices etc. Sounds like a fun match think I'll get a physical before I go, don't want to use the emergency equipment. LOL Keith

...Are the rules posted anywhere, such as bolt guns, bipods, ranging devices etc. Sounds like a fun match think I'll get a physical before I go, don't want to use the emergency equipment. LOL Keith

Equipment is unlimited in both Light and Heavy classes, heavy simply specifies the amount of weight you must carry and no assistance/water resupply during the course.

Light Division -- loincloth and flip flops are fine. Water provided at shooting stations.

Heavy Division -- Kit must weigh 35 pounds. Kit includes boots, ruck, rifle, ammunition, etc... but NOT H20 and you must hump your own water. Competitors in this division may not accept help along the way either (carry your own rod to remove a stuck case, etc.)

Last year the guy that won was active duty army and he RAN the whole course. His adjusted time with shooting bonuses was around 1 hour...I think his actual run time was close to 1:20. The rifle he shot was an SKS he borrowed from someone.