Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clark/para Frame Cut

aclundwall

These are the general dimensions and can be found on Brownells Guntech pages, it can and does vary a little from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Consult the dimensions for your Clark/Para ramped barrel. (Most manufacturer’s enclose dimensions with the barrels.)

"Generally, with the frame level in the milling vise, you will touch the frame rails and then center the cutter in the frame slot. Lower a 3/8” (.375”) center cut (on some barrels it is a smaller cut than this), end mill down .315” and machine slot through to the magazine well.

On a Clark/Para ramp, the second cut is measured from the slide stop pin to the face of the lug slot. This cut is made with the frame level in the milling vise and is approximately .260” in length. The Clark ramp cut is rounded at the back of the lugs. Check your barrel again to see what the cut will look like. Remember; go by the specifications that came with your barrel." (From Brownells Guntech 1911 barrel fitting.)

If you didn't get a spec sheet with your barrel consult the manufacturer (or Wil)...

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I knew that the barrel will arrive with the details. But now I can make sure I've got the right tools for the job, and have a way to setup the frame, by the time the barrel gets here.

I can't stand waiting. Once I have the barrel, I want to be ready to get started.

Art

Art,

Any chance you can take some pictures of the operation as you go...and, post them here?

Funny you mention that....

I started out with an 80% frame... and I had to cut the frame rails before I fit the slide. I did that on July 4th. And just as I made the last pass, I thought...gee.... pics would have been nice!

Anyway, I'll try to snap some pics as I do the rest. It will probably be a little while, since it sounds as if the barrel won't get here for at least a couple weeks. In the meantime, I just finished hogging out the magwell/frame area, and I still have to high-cut the grip, checker the front strap, fit the beavertail, and build a new F/O front sight. So, with any luck, I'll have all that done when the barrel gets here.

Art

Funny you should ask about pictures - here is a link to my thread on finishing an 80% frame using the Nowlin/Wilson ramp due to the 80% frame's unique construction (KT Ordnance). Gun is now complete (think Baer Monolith in .40). Will have to put up some pictures.

LINK

C.

PS- for those interested in buliding their own handguns & rifles from raw materials, check out:

www.roderuscustom.tzo.com

There are seperate sections on home-constructed AK-47s, AR-15, 1911s, Sigs, Ruger MK II, 10-22, etc.