Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hitting the Slide Catch with the PPQ Q5

saibot

I shot my new Q5 for the first time in a match yesterday (second overall Production, woohoo!) and although it ran perfectly the entire time, I did stop the gun two or three times by my high grip pressing the slide release lever inadvertently and locking the slide back. 

Do you guys have any suggestions how to prevent that from occurring? Is there a way to stiffen the spring? Can you file that sucker down, or is that not Production legal?

Love the gun so far, but I can't have the stoppages.

Thanks, all!

If I remember correctly when I shot a ppq, you should be able to file the point of slide release that sticks up and contacts the slide notch. It's internal and can't be seen. You can make the point less pronounced/shorter so further movement and pressure is required for locking slide back. I don't recall how the spring was when I had the ppq. Both spring change and internal change of the slide release would be prod legal.

2 hours ago, Polymer said:

If I remember correctly when I shot a ppq, you should be able to file the point of slide release that sticks up and contacts the slide notch. It's internal and can't be seen. You can make the point less pronounced/shorter so further movement and pressure is required for locking slide back. I don't recall how the spring was when I had the ppq. Both spring change and internal change of the slide release would be prod legal.

Great idea!

I just took a nice big chunk off of it and hope that'll do it.

Thanks!

I thought I'd post this suggestion for any new Q5 owners that see this:

While I had the file out, I took the hard edge off the left side of the "Take Down Catch" (the square you pull down to field strip the gun). With my grip, my support hand thumb presses on the Take Down Catch pretty significantly. Under recoil, that thing turns into a cheese grater and destroys the inside of your thumb. Just passing the file over the edge of it works wonders.

/2 cents