Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Head Separation

ErikW

Clays builds pressure too fast and too much to make a good 40cal powder. It doesn't so much matter how hot it burns or how many FPS it makes per grain of powder [the burn-rate chart] what matters is that Clays spikes too high and too early.

I'm far from the first or the last person to say this.

Never found the head. Most likely Speer, or FC. Less likely RP or Federal. Unlikely Winchester.

Didn't feel a thing besides an incomplete cycle stroke. Didn't see any smoke or flash, didn't hear a big bang. Methinks I got off easy.

I've shot plenty of Clays before and since.

the guy who was blowing case heads with WST was using mucho mixed brass...mostly PMC and SPEER.

I had a sellier and bellot almost seperate on me....with a light steel load.

Ive seen a few commercial reloads go pffft and blow the case head off

also blew the extractor off and the follower of the mag down to the bottom of the tube.

I think that one was a PMC load.

the only brass i have had trouble with is S&B 40 caliber

primer pockets are uber-tight

even fired in a STI the cases bulge at the feed ramp.

I think some of the best brass is straight winchesters...i have never had one of them fail. i have also had good luck with remington(non nickeled) and federal brass.

Erik wrote: "Didn't feel a thing besides an incomplete cycle stroke. Didn't see any smoke or flash, didn't hear a big bang. Methinks I got off easy"

Agreed. Glad you were OK Erik! With the old brass I use, I expect that someday, one piece will let go & I hope I am as lucky. That is a scarry photo!

D.C. Johnson