Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP01 and mags

SF1911

This is my first CZ and I may have a possible prob or two. The gun is brand new, haven't shot it yet. I have 2 CZ and 3 Mec-gar mags for now. When I manually try to lock the slide back on all these empty mags, only one of the CZ's will lock back the slide. I noticed that the slide release after each cycle moves away from the frame about twenty thou ( a slight gap). When I push the slide release back toward the frame, then all the mags lock back. Is this something that works itself in during break in?

Also the Mec-gars don't drop free. I can see wear marks where the taper starts to straighten out. The CZ mags are narrower at this point. Is this another wear in/ break in situation?

Edited by SF1911

Shoot it and break it. What color is the follower on your Mecgar mags? And the stock CZ? There were issues with older guns with older slidestops and blue Mecgar mags awhile back, but since you said it’s a newer gun you shouldn’t have this particular issue.

Cz's are black, MG's are blue.

Yeah, you should be okay.

Just send some rounds down range. It probably needs some rounds and wear on it. I highly doubt you have a worn slide release wire spring or a mag release Spring to be exhibiting these issues. A empty mag and cycling the gun manually almost always has a weird quirk that almost never exists on live fire.

I had somewhat similar issues not too long ago.  I installed a new slide release and haven't had any magazine related issues since. I'm about 2k rounds into the new slide release.  My slide release does move away a touch from the frame during use but not enough to cause issues.

Here is my take on what may be causing slide lock issue.  The slide release is moved away from the frame enough that the "nub" is too far away for the mag follower to push it up and lock the slide back.

Here is what I would do:

Take the slide off

Push on the slide release nub with my fingers resulting in the slide release lever being pushed away from the frame.

Insert Mec Gar and CZ magazines and observe if the followers is able to push the nub up or not.

Based on that, you may need a new slide release.

Hopefully that makes sense. It does to me:)

Edited by vinceislander
dang grammer