Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Trigger

2 minutes ago, longbeard said:

LOL!

I cleaned it Saturday.  It failed Sunday.  What's that tell ya?!  

It just proves my point ... cleaning is over-rated!

I get lazy with cleaning the AR, and just resort to blasting it with brake cleaner and then lubing it back up (not taking anything apart).

That usually works, but crud can build up on the bottom of the trigger and hammer and that area is not hit by the brake clean.  From time to time, when I feel the travel decreasing, I have to pull the pins and clean the trigger thoroughly. My powder builds up and can get the consistency of concrete in places not reached with the solvent.

2 hours ago, L9X25 said:

It just proves my point ... cleaning is over-rated!

I get lazy with cleaning the AR, and just resort to blasting it with brake cleaner and then lubing it back up (not taking anything apart).

That usually works, but crud can build up on the bottom of the trigger and hammer and that area is not hit by the brake clean.  From time to time, when I feel the travel decreasing, I have to pull the pins and clean the trigger thoroughly. My powder builds up and can get the consistency of concrete in places not reached with the solvent.

No crud to be found

I did find the sear has a nick and the hammer has worn unevenly.  It's a QC lower.  I can't imagine the pin holes are off. 

Whether this is the cause of my issues or not I am not sure.  There are over 10K rounds on this trigger I expect wear.  Not sure to what extent.   

The ding in the sear makes me think at some point something got caught in there, but I don't think it's from whatever happened lately.sear.thumb.jpg.43ec0385350d9a6d4cfbfd558fad8448.jpghammer.thumb.jpg.0c2393e2fd5b4c2376b5942a7b66f482.jpg

You might flatten out the top of the sear to see if the "nick" is forcing the sear to ride a little lower on the bottom of the hammer.  With how little clearance we have between the disconnector and the hammer, it would not take much to cause the problem that you are having.  

Not sure that you have the yellow spring on that hammer (not that it has anything to do with your problem) and that could lighten the pull some.

You might flatten out the top of the sear to see if the "nick" is forcing the sear to ride a little lower on the bottom of the hammer.  With how little clearance we have between the disconnector and the hammer, it would not take much to cause the problem that you are having.  

Not sure that you have the yellow spring on that hammer (not that it has anything to do with your problem) and that could lighten the pull some.
Used to have yellow, and it stopped being reliable even after a new spring replacement a few months ago.

I'm going to call and talk to them, but suspect it might be time to replace it. It's got a good 20k on it which really shouldn't be much.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If you have 20k, I would consider that a pretty good run for any trigger, but it does not look like it is "worn out" and should have more life to give.  

Mine has been 100% with the yellow spring with my rifle primers in the 9mm, and obviously fine on pistol primers too.