Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Movement Drills And Standard Par Times

EricW

On a stand or sit and shoot stage, I'm able to keep pace with the A shooters well enough. The minute I have to go somewhere to shoot, I'm getting creamed royale. If I can get my movement squared away, I can bump my scores up 20%. When I'm shooting with my head out of my derriere, I'm nailing the points, just really inefficiently. Sam gave me a bunch of tips today that are going to get put into practice very soon.

I would like to request some suggestions from the BE collective brain here on a few movement drills that I could practice on, with appropriate par times for an M/GM shooter so I have something to aspire to. I can make up drills on my own well enough, but I'd really like a couple "standards" so I can benchmark my progress and come back here and whine if I don't make much/any progress... :wacko:

Help me, por favor....

(Special thanks to Sam [bonedaddy] for coaching/mentoring me through the back half of A-1. If only I could have delivered on 10% of all the good stuff he gave me. Thanks man, it really meant a lot to me. :) )

Par times / guidelines anyone??

I know doing the drills will do wonders for me. I'd really like some benchmarks though. Guess this might be the year I spring for the video camera.

Great topic, I have yet to practice any of these things. Actually I will probably start this week. Last couple of matches I tried shooting on the move and felt comfortable doing so but realized a couple things. The first thing I noticed is that it was not as hard as I thought it would be. I only tried it on closer arrays. The main thing I noticed was just because you can shoot on the move doesn't mean you have to. I found that I didn't gain anything on the particular stage by shooting on the move. If anything I dropped a couple of pts. I have never seen any videos where guys shoot on the move alot. I'll have to get a couple to see how its really done.

Flyin40

Par times / guidelines anyone??

I know doing the drills will do wonders for me.  I'd really like some benchmarks though.  Guess this might be the year I spring for the video camera.

Forget about par times. By all means track your progress with a timer ---- but don't get so obsessed that smooth movement as you enter and shoot go out the window.

Another thought on practicing these skills ---- as you walk around the house, decide on an object in the next room that you'd like to airgun to. Work on hitting the doorway in such a manner, that you're already looking over your hands at the object when it appears in your line of vision. Or, if you're living by yourself, scatter some targets around the house......