Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choate Tactical Stocks? (Also Their Varmint and Sniper)

jkrispies

I just stumbled across a PRS-type stock made by Choate Machine and Tool, called their "Tactical" model.  I'm wondering if anybody has one or knows anything about their quality, etc.?  The prices seem relatively reasonable.  They have similar stocks called their "Sniper" and "Varmint" models.

I mainly ask because Choate makes a model which fits an unusual gun I won at an NRA auction about a decade ago and have been slowly customizing ever since-- a left-handed centerfeed Savage short action.  This is the first time I've found the type of stock I want that will actually fit my particular gun.  Of course, after ten years if there's a problem with this stock that I need to know about, it won't kill me to keep waiting.  This is the bad boy:  http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/25-06-11   Since "my gun's" page doesn't have a photo, here's the link to the standard action model:  http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/25-06-02

Thanks for any input you have to offer,

J

They are heavy and solid, but clunky and cheap feeling. The stock is made of plastic and the butt stock is hollow. I have had a couple of the varmint models, but would never buy another one. They are functional, but Bell & Carlson is a much nicer product at similar cost. I'm sure your choices are limited with a left handed rifle, but I would keep looking.

5 hours ago, mscott said:

They are heavy and solid, but clunky and cheap feeling. The stock is made of plastic and the butt stock is hollow. I have had a couple of the varmint models, but would never buy another one. They are functional, but Bell & Carlson is a much nicer product at similar cost. I'm sure your choices are limited with a left handed rifle, but I would keep looking.

Thanks for the info!  It's been awhile since I checked B&C.  Maybe they've started making for my model in the meanwhile.  

Edited by jkrispies

5 hours ago, mscott said:

They are heavy and solid, but clunky and cheap feeling. .

Mscott, I'm wondering if you could clarify "cheap feeling" for me?  If you're talking specifically about something such as surface texture, Taran Tactical Innovations is local to me, and I'm pretty sure I could convince them to do one of their stipple jobs for me if the plastic is thick enough and can take it.  To my mind, "heavy and solid" aren't negatives, so maybe the "cheap feeling" can be massaged a bit?  Or does it go beyond surface texture?  Thanks again, J

Stippling really wouldn't do much for it. Wouldn't hurt, but not for what I'm talking about. The outer shell is plastic, kinda like a factory Savage stock. The barrel channel is huge to the point of being goofy looking, but that's just my opinion. I filled the butt end of mine with bondo to help balance it out since it was so front heavy. They are 100% functional, so if that's all you can find go for it.