Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Handgun Hunting .357 and .44 bullets

I "RTFP" (read the fifth post" :D) Are hunting related questions ok here anyway? Feel free to remove it if not.

So questions for you handgun hunting nuts.

Favourite .357 bullet for game say to 120lbs? - I've always figured something that expands is better in .357 because of the smaller diameter to start with. I use 180gr XTP's which can do 1300fps easy from my 6" FA, so my view may have been different if I could only get like 1100fps....

Favourite cast design for .44 Mag for game of say up to 400lbs? LBT WFN/WLN, what about the NEI SSK (JD Jones designs?), others?

I like the Beartooth Bullets 285gr WFN cast .44 bullets. When fired from a 444 Marlin rifle, there are reports that they have shot lengthwise through elk. I developed a load with that bullet and H110 that should flat out stomp any deer, elk, or boar I care to hunt with my Super Blackhawk.

Ray

The Hornady XTP is an excellent bullet for deer size game out of the 357 and 44. Weight is what you prefer and what shoots the best. Accuracy when handgun hunting is VERY important. I have found them to shoot very well. TXAG

My stepfather swears by a 250 gr. Keith-type bullet cast 10-1 for .429. Not being a big .44 fan, I've hung with a .45 Colt for hunting and haven't been anything but pleased with it. Right now I'm actually using Cor-Bon's 300 gr. factory loads, and I think they're doing 1300-ish out of a 7 1/2" bbl. She's a kicker, but I'm finally getting used to it. It does rattle the estucheon srew loose every once and a while, though.

I'm using Federal 210 Hollowpoints in my Smith&Wesson .41 mag, works great on deer in West TN.

In my Super Redhawk I use the Hornady XTP 250 grn in ...45 colt and/or XTP mag in the Cassull brass !!!! Both work great too !!!

Good luck with it, can't help on .357 as I don't use one.

hopalong

Thanks for the replies.

I should probably have started a poll, but anyhow, still getting the views that I would like to see - and more detailed than with a poll.

anyone out there try the SSK designs?

I was handgun hunting long before I started going bang, bang at cardboard.

I am an Elmer Keith fan from the old days and in pistol calibers you need some weight. I have taken a number of deer with something as simple as a Rem 158 JHP in the 357. Have had core seperation and the XTP are much better but the old Rem rounds got the job done on close animals.

Switched from the 357 (have a Smith model 27) to a Ruger Redhawk. I shoot the 240 XTPs in it exclusively with great accuracy and knockdown power. My wife has also taken deer with the model 27. If the ranges are close = bowhunting ranges the little 357 will get the task done with good shot placement. The 44 just has a lot more margin to work with.

Find an accurate load in your gun and visit the range with it often. If it is scoped, practice with it under field conditions. Had a Leupold 2X on the Redhawk for a while and the limited field of view was fine on the range but when I hit the heavy brush with it - that was a different story.

Good luck.

Rick