Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision 230 Grain Rnfp

Shellpicker

I am loading 6.2 grains of VVn340 under this bullet. The accuracy is great but I have a problem. They won't fit in my Bar-Sto barrel in a G30. Work fine in the Kimber but won't go into the G30. They fit the case gauge just fine klinking in and dropping out without any problem. They really jam in the G30 though and I have to shorten them to 1.230 to make them fit. Will this cause a pressure problem?

Because of the small flat point, you will want to set your OAL shorter than what you would for a round nose. I load 230 round nose bullets to 1.250" but for the Precision 230 RNFP I load to 1.220" to get the same seating depth in the case for both loads. I'd suggest the 1.220" setting and also contacting Dave directly at Precision for his thoughts.

I've got a Bar-Sto barrel in my Commander and have run into similar problems. You're going to have to seat the bullet deeper until there is just a smidgen of bearing surface exposed past the case mouth. This will in turn require you to reduce the powder charge to maintain the same pressure and velocity. Use the barrel itself as a case gauge. It's a PITA. I've considered having my barrel re-chambered to standard .45 ACP dimensions...but I've already adapted, and the ammo I load works in all my .45s now.

i think im loading them at around 1.215 with 3.9 grains of clays

oddly enough, it took 3.8 to make major with the old bullet loaded longer.

I wish dave would have duplicated FMJ shape instead of the design he uses now.

i shoot the RNFP because my gun doesnt shoot semiwadcutters for shit, especially with CLAYS.

perhaps its the pressure curve with the 200 grain bullet loaded to major, or just the gun doesnt like them...who knows.