Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wilson Combat Ammo.

Cuz

I'm thinking about switching to Wilson Combat's high performance .45 ammo in my carry gun. Has anyone tried it? Has anyone chrono'd it? I'm wondering how fast the 230gr hornady XTP bullets are going. While I'm on the subject I'd also like to know how fast the 200gr's are moving and whether or not they are +P. I sent Wilson an email but I don't know if they'll give out that info.

Anyone have any thoughts about using it as a defense ammo? Do you think it looks too much like a specialty load? Normally I would stick to straight factory ammo, but this is actually cheaper and since I shoot my carry gun a lot to practice I figure I'd give it some consideration. Comments?

-Cuz

Cuz - FWIW, I use Federal's 230 grain non-Hydra-Shok JHP for my carry load. The product number is 45D. It's a standard velocity load (runs ~820-830 fps from my guns) that I get for about $14/box of 50 from Gil Hebard Guns (309.289.2700, no website). If you're not military or police, I think it runs about $16-17 a box. It's accurate, reliable, uses low flash powder, and both the bullet and primer are sealed. If you're looking for a carry load that's cheap enough to shoot, it's one possibility.

Cuz - FWIW, I use Federal's 230 grain non-Hydra-Shok JHP for my carry load. The product number is 45D.  It's a standard velocity load (runs ~820-830 fps from my guns) that I get for about $14/box of 50 from Gil Hebard Guns (309.289.2700, no website).  If you're not military or police, I think it runs about $16-17 a box.  It's accurate, reliable, uses low flash powder, and both the bullet and primer are sealed.  If you're looking for a carry load that's cheap enough to shoot, it's one possibility.

Actually I just started to look at those Federals, and also the Remingtons (not Golden Saber) because they are reputable and available in quantities of 50/box. It's a damn racket for the ammo mfg's once they all seemed to stop making their high performance ammo in 50 count boxes. I used to be able to by Speer Gold Dot boxes of 50 but not anymore. Thanks for the info.

-Cuz