Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 Vs. 124 In 9mm Major

mleeber

I am new to this whole 9mm Major thing but figured I might try my hand. One of my initial questions is why the lighter bullet? Most 9mm Major shooters are using 124/125 grain bullets and going way off the charts to get 1330 FPS. VV 3N38 makes major with a 147gr JHP with data on the chart.

Why not use the 147s?

Also, anyone using the KKM Hybrid comp barrel/comp cobination on their glock? It is not listed on the KKM website. I think that it is only for "smith" installations as the hood and ramp have to be modified but I don't know if the comp is different somehow.

Thanks!

Mark

Mark

If you want to try 147's, make sure it's the Hornady XTP that's in the book. The heavy 9mm bullets all have some sort of step-tail or boat-tail in back and I can say for certain that the Zero 147 doesn't get within 100 fps of the book velocity for 3n38. I got 1082 fps with 6.8 grains. It's a different design than the XTP.

Also, the recoil pattern with the 147s was a lot like a LTD gun - slow, with a lot of gun lift. The lighter bullets, in my G17 Open gun, have no gun lift and minimal muzzle lift, but are louder and slap your body a lot harder. click: PHOTO

If you can hold out 3-4 days I'll have more chrono data for N105 and 3n38 with the lighter bullets. Welcome to the forum - with 6000 members you can see it's a good place to be.

Thanks Eric!

I am indeed using Zero 147s for my other 9mm loads, thanks for the info.

I am definately interested in the load data.

Very nice looking 17! Sporting the rare Caspian slide too!!! Is that a standard "drop-in" KKM or the fitted barrel? Very nice comp too! I am trying to figure out which 9 to race, the 17, 34, or 17L. The 34 I have already has a Carver mount and C-More optics so it may be the "chosen one". Besides I use the 17 in the few GSSF matches that are left here in the Southeast and the 17L was one of the first imported so I don't want to monkey with them.

I appreciate the guidance!