Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon U-die...

Has any ever asked Dillon about making an undersize decapping die?

*Rant On*

I ended up swapping out my Dillon 9mm resizing/decapping die for an EGW U-die. Yes, it' Glocked range brass. 

If a piece of brass is slightly misaligned in station 1 on my 650, the pin just slides up. It doesn't seem to matter how tight the collet is. I've never had this problem with the Dillon die. Misaligned and there's real resistance on the downstroke, not to mention the visual indicator of the circlip that holds the decapping pin being raised from the body of the die.

Can you guess how much I hate the decapping pin and its positioning method? Can I tell you how much I miss the click of the spring-loaded Dillon resize/decap die? 

*Rant Off*

Sure wish they'd consider it!

I use the u-die (lee or EGW) in a 650 and yes...the positioning of the case is more critical because it sizes farther down and has less lead in funneling than the Dillon.  usually I can feel when a case is misaligned on station 1 and give it a quick tap with my left hand to bump in farther into the shell plate. 

To solve the collet and decapping pin issue you are describing I took a file and slightly roughen up the surface of the decapping pin where it interfaces with the collet.    Then adjust the collet so it will slip, but not too easily....mine will now slip when it hits a berdan primed case, but that is about it.  A long punch and a few taps with a hammer will quickly return it to its correct position. 

Edited by Bamboo

On 4/8/2017 at 6:11 PM, tkheard said:

Great suggestion. I'll give it a try.

When you bend the original decapping pin due to a .22 case or the like sneaking in there, install one of the hardened pins from Squirrel Daddy.

Theyre a serious upgrade.

Edited by MemphisMechanic