Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target Cams

shriner

I have the bullseye sight in camera. The software that it comes with is what sold me on it. In practice the sun washes out the target and it is hard to see. Also the range may be optimistic. It is supposed to be good for 300 yds, but sometimes I have trouble at 200. The antenna has to be set just right.

• 1 month later...

With the rise in remote control FPV (first person view video) flying, I'm betting someone could DIY something like this for $150 or less with some shopping around

7" LCD monitor which are about $40 on amazon

CCTV security camera $10-30, I would go with a used box cam with adjustable zoom lens and auto iris off eBay 

32CH 5.8G 600mw Wireless Audio Video AV TX FPV TS5828 Transmitter Module USA - $18 ebay

FPV 5.8G AV video Receiver RX W/ LED Channel Display RC832 32CH RP-SMA - $20 eBay 

Aomway 5.8GHz 6dBi Flat Patch Directional FPV Antenna RHCP SMA & RPSMA 2pc Set -ebay $18  (should give better range for the 5.8ghz signal, high frequency needs open line of sight, but for target cam that shouldn't be a issue 

and a power source at each end, route I would go owning lots of power tools is using my Milwaukee M18 + one of the power adapters for the heated jackets (puts out 12v + 5v usb)  or cheap sealed lead acid (12v 7ah) and a battery tender to slow charge them at home 

This is just a rough/dirty list that I just tossed together, there are other video frequencies that would cost a little more (2.4ghz, 1.3ghz) and different antenna setups that would also preform better, like crosshair type or wifi flat panel high gain at the receiver and circular polarized at the transmitter 

I've also got the bullseye cam and it does a reasonable job.  The software is pretty boss but it does have issues in bright light so either use a canopy of some sort when you shoot or setup under a tree.