Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag insertion on Phantom

GregJ

Setting my Phantom up for CO, and noticed when inserting a mag it feels like it goes a little beyond the catch when I insert them with the amount of force I typically use, then drops back to where it is supposed to be.  The mag release spring setup on the Phantom uses a spring and plunger setup. It almost feels like the plunger spring might be a little weak.  This was with a brand new CZ 18 rnd mag, with the CZC short basepad and stock spring. I have other mags and will  try them tonight.

Anyone else run into this?

Apparently no one has. 

More info that might

shed some light on the cause. A bud of mine and I were looking at the issue and noticed that when this happens the mag is bumping against the ejector. There is a small shiny spot on the ejector as a result. 

The same mags work fine on my SA 75 Target. So the cause appears to be the mag release. Will order a new one and if that fixes it. 

I think I've narrowed this down. It looks like with any mag but 16 rnd CZs, the mag tends to over-insert.  With the CZ 18 round mags and CZ short base pads, it will really whack the ejector. The basepad on the 16rnd CZ mags prevent over-insertion.  However the CZ 18 rnd mags with stock basepads has a larger gap that still allows a bit of over-insertion.  I really need to get this resolved before I try and use it in a match, as I tend to slam mags home a little forcefully.

I have to hope the mag catch is the suspect here.  I will call CZC and see what they say.