Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Shotgun Barrel

Sterling White

Have a new JP barrel for my 11-87, 28 inch with a modified screw in choke, gas ports have been opened.  As recommended by John at JP I cleaned the gun throughout.  Function is great with low recoil slugs and 00 buck however it coughs on bird shot (3 dram 1-1 1/8 shot wt.) so I bumped up to  3 1/4 dram 1 1/4 oz shot wt.  Same result.  Has anyone found manufactured shot that will cycle?  Or should the gas ports be opened one size?

OK....need some help.  Used the search here on the forum with buzz words, etc.... and turned up zip.  

Here's what I've done since the first post....have sanded the forarm where there is very little wood touching.  Am headed back to the drawing board on this idea thinking that there still may be a little something touching or putting presure on the action.....any thoughts?

GMW2B:

Without tring to sound like a jerk, have you given John Gangle a call at J.P. . He is the owner and his waranty is that if your not happy, hes not happy. I can't think of any gunsmith or other person that has put in more time on the 1100-1187 system than John. He is also a world class competitor and just got done shooting to 9th place at the S.W.A.T. magazine world 3 gun championships, where he used a 1187 for the shotgun stages. CALL  HIM!!!!!                        KURT  

Just shot the Infinity Open in LV.  What a match!  I saw John and did a questions and answers session.  Another competitor also sat in and conspired.  The solution by process of elimination can be one of 2 things according to these guys.  The plunger tube in the stock of the gun may need cleaning if not a complete polishing.  The recommendation, take the gun down and inspect the tube and plunger, the word ugly came up in conversation several times so the answer is clean and polish the tube.  Step 2, JP Ent. is now making a modified gas proportioner for the 11-87, it comes in a kit and is available.  So, to sum it up....I will will be taking things one step at a time.  Also, thanks for the insight and links.