Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classification System and Scaled-down Stages

RickT

I run a match on a 15 yard range using smaller targets (8",10",12" ).  The stages from a scale standpoint are very accurate with some compromise for SC targets more than 15 yards downrange.  Just for fun I loaded all of our scores into a database and implemented the classification system.  My wife and I are the only attendees who shoot full-size steel challenge.  What surprised me was the small difference between my scaled-course percentage (61%) and my official percentage (~58.5%) which does give some indication of the value of practice on short courses.

We don't have large enough targets for Smoke & Hope.  Showdown and Outer Limits don't really work on a scaled-down range.  We shoot the other five stages and some of the West Coast Steel stages in our six stage matches.  I've attached the scaled-down SC stage diagrams i anyone is interested.  The colors map to surveying whiskers that we use to mark the target positions.

Five Scaled SC Stages.pdf

2 minutes ago, Pasley said:

Cool, we have enough room for the full stages but those would be nice on 98 degree days and fun to shoot.

I'll add some pictures to the post.  It's a cowboy range with a very large tree overhanging the shooting position - really helps on a hot day, but the shade makes for some interesting patterns on the targets depending on sun position.  I didn't mention in the original post, but the numbers adjacent to the targets are the downrange/cross range target locations in feet.

The bay we use is heavily used by instructors, but the whiskers actually hold up pretty well needing a refresh maybe every 3 months or so.

In California you've just got to be grateful for having a place to practice.