Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine tuning help

Garmil

Are there any good articles or videos out there detailing how to tune a mag catch/ magazine for proper fitting and dropping.  I've  read a few things here and there but nothing very comprehensive as far as how the cutout in the magazine should fit the catch, view from empty mag catch slot etc.

i have some 140mm mags that drop perfect they shoot out of the gun but they are set to lock the slide back is it possible to do the same with magazines that don't lock on empty?

trying to tune some new mbx 170mm to drop better they get stuck a little now and then and others times barely drop.

Edited by Garmil

I tried the same thing with my Caspian open gun.

My Caspian brand mags have Grams Spring and followers and the followers have been trimmed with plenty of clearance so they will never lock back.  The Caspians w/Grams followers do eject fast empty, and a couple of my MPX eject just as fast with no follower drag when empty.  One had a little follower drag on the slide lock, but still ejected reliably...I'll probably file that follower a little to eliminate the follower drag.  Try putting a dummy round or empty case in the mag and see if the MPX doesn't eject more crisply.  If  you can verify you are getting a little drag from the follower against the slide lock (take the upper off and insert the mag to see what is rubbing against what) then a little hand filing/sanding of the follower to get some clearance is all you have to do.   Also, make sure that your mag catch isn't trapping the MPX mag body when you smash down on the mag release button fully.  If you find that you are trapping the mag when you smash down fully on the mag release then you need to relieve the mag catch some more on the side where your thumb hits the mag release button.   To me the MPX mag bodies are very good and have no issues with actual mag body rubbing in the mag chute at all.  In fact after trying them I'll probably order a couple more MPX 170's. 

Edited by Bamboo