Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

16" Bull Barrel Ar For Ipsc 3-gun ?

skid2964

I have been using an M4 type AR with a Trijicon reflex for IPSC 3-gun... after having too many misses at 100yards, I've decided to get an Oly 16" SUM upper with a regular weight barrel ..... but, I've found the same upper, slightly used, for alot less than new, except it has a 16" bull barrel. it seems to me that the bull barrel would slow me down in the close range stages... anyone using a bull barreled upper with good success? oponions?

A 16" HBAR weights about the same as a 20" Govt barrel. According to Bushmaster, the 16 HBAR is 2.7 # and the 20" Govt is 2.5 #.

I'm not sure about the weight of the OLY.

BTW - unless your barrel won't shoot reasonable groups with quality ammo, your misses @ 100 + yards are more likely due to the optic and/or trigger control than your barrel, IMO.

You may want to evalute before you spend the $. It would suck to re-barrel and then realize your barrel was fine -- and then not have the $ to spend on an optic/fire control group/practice ammo.

Good luck.

BTW - unless your barrel won't shoot reasonable groups with quality ammo, your misses @ 100 + yards are more likely due to the optic and/or trigger control than your barrel, IMO.  

Good luck.

Actually, I think my M4-gery barrel could perform well enough for the longer distances... I just wanted to keep that rifle in it's present configuration. I would get another and keep it configured for 3-gun .... I have decided to use my Leupold 1-4X rifle scope on whetever I decide to build.

A longer barrel should only make minor differences at 100 yards. At longer distances the longer barrel should help. The weight of the barrel shouldnt make a difference either. I shoot 3 gun w/ a 16" M4 barrel. Ive never had any problem shooting at 100 yards, even w/ a dot. Good sight alignment, trigger control, and practice makes a good long range shooter. My advice would be; get a good trigger and a case of ammo.

Let me re-direct my post .....

I have a firm understanding of the 100 yard issues ... I WILL be getting a new rifle regardless. I need a new toy! my concern was close range quick handling with a heavy bull barreled rifle ...

Thanks GBTX01 for addressing that part of my post.

Anybody else using a bull barreled rifle for close range work?

Then ill re-word my reply. I would prob say that a full bull barrel would be less than ideal for close range work. Most ppl i know use a standard heavy barrel or a lightened barrel.

Thanks for the good info .... that includes all the valuable opinions about long range shooting as well.

I feel no difference between my 16" Bushmaster HBAR and my 17" Govt-style upper in swinging/transitioning. I like the HBAR configuration for a 16" upper, but that's a personal preference.

I have 14.5", 16", 17", 18", and 20" AR's. Started off with a 16", went to a 17", then a 18", and now I'm building myself a new 16". With a good comp (like the F2 ;) ), the heavy barrel/no moving thing is not particularly important to me. I had been running .750 (both fore and aft of the gas block) barrels at all lengths, but just build up an AR this evening that was .700 behind the block (18" barrel) and I really liked the way it handled.

Not enough to give up my latest project, a .680 behind/.720 in front 16" barrel under a LaRue 4-side handguard...Liota's rifle (.750 behind/.650 in front 16" barrel) seems way faster on the "corners" than my .750/18" gun, but I thought it seemed a little light in the front. This new rig should be a bit more weighty in the snout, yet still transition about the same. I hope :)

Alex