Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Super 1050 Observations

The press meets/exceeds its "press".  I thought I would be using my LNL for load development, but with a micrometer powder meter and a Redding micrometer seating die the LNL is not going to be getting much love.  So far I've only used the LNL to resize brass without decapping.  I will eventually just dedicate the LNL for low volume 45ACP.

• Case Feeder -- light years ahead of Hornady.  I've had one upside down case in perhaps 3000 rounds.  My only complaint - it's too quiet.  With the Hornady CF I could tell by the sound when it was running empty.
  • Bullet Feeder -- I easily moved over my Mr. BF.  My bench is rock solid as is the 1050, but I'll need a simple brace/vibration damper to keep the occasional bullet from either falling down or at least out of the collator.
  • Decap/Size - Nary a problem once I put a taper on the pin.  I had been getting the occasional primer to pull back into the case.  I also did the trick with the.223 case and plastic tube chute for primers and that was a big improvement.
  • Powder Measure -- Very, very repeatable.
  • Basic press configuration -- I really like that the shellplate rotates only.  this would be really great if I were hand-placing bullets, but it also does a great deal to limit bullet tip over, etc.  Took me a few minutes as I was setting up to figure out the purpose of the brass thumbtacks.
  • Operating position -- standing with my 36" press works just fine.  I may build a platform for my adjustable kitchen stool to provide the option to load seated.  I installed an Inline Fabrications light in the bullet feeder position which makes seeing the power level very easy.  Still, with only (in some cases) 3.0 gr o N320 I've got to hover over the press.  Might consider some sort of mirror or once of those fancy camera setups.
  • Production rate -- I can operate the machine at 1800 rounds/hour, but not produce at that rate.  1000/hour with reloading BF, CF and primers should be a piece of cake.  I'll stick with my red Hornady gun/primer loader until I manage to get the RF100 to work reliably with SPP (9mm BTW).
  • Why did I wait so long?????

I would not disparage the LNL especially for someone not wanting a case feeder or willing to tinker with same until they get the bugs out.