Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue Dot + 135 Rs = Zoom Zoom

HQBrass

I loaded up some Berry's 40 cal. 135 RS's this weekend over some (a lot actually) Blue Dot. Finding data for a 135gr 40 is not the easiest thing I have ever done. I found one load on Maass's list that call for 12gr. That seemed like a lot to me but I figured I would work up to it. I started at 10.5 gr and went in .5 gr. increments up to 12.0. 12.0 gr. of Blue Dot is a FULL case no danger of a double charge there. I took it to the range and ran some through the chrono and found that I should have stopped at 11.0 gr. 10.5 gr. at a OAL of 1.135 gave me an avg. 1240 FPS with a 167 PF but that was sort of thin for me so I ran the 11.0 gr.'ers and that gave me an avg. 1340 with a 180PF and a good vertical dot track. I didn't chrono the 11.5 gr. rounds but curiosity got the better of me so I ran one of the 12.0 gr. rounds across the chrono, 1430 FPS! :ph34r: All of the rounds were shot out of a G-35 with a KKM 4 Port Comp. Work up your own loads for your own gun, this data is not to be used to generate loads it is just raw data. Use at your risk.

HQBrass,

The last time I shot my .40 Open I used 10.4 of HS-6 and Nosler 135 JHP. They chronoed for a 186PF. This was at the 2003 VAMDSection. I was worried that I was not going to make major as my chrono had been acting up. I even won B Class Open with that load. :)

Alan