Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Convert Velocity & Psi To Pf

tank69

going thru some of my AA reloading info, they have MAJOR in the comments field. I'm assuming that it means that load will meet MAJOR PF. However, is there anyway to convert velocity and PSI to a power factor?

going thru some of my AA reloading info, they have MAJOR in the comments field.  I'm assuming that it means that load will meet MAJOR PF.  However, is there anyway to convert velocity and PSI to a power factor?

PF == bullet weight (in grains) x velocity (fps) / 1000. Cartridge pressure is not required. Bullet weight is also specified in the loading data.

velocity to PF is easy as per above.

PSI to PF (or anything else) is tough. The PSI figures given are peak pressures. What determines how fast (therfore the pf) the bullet goes is force generated (pressure x area of the bullet), and the time for which the force is generated, minus loss to friction. Point is the calculations are complex. This can be done, but people get PhD's and write books in the process.

Take the pressure numbers as a "saftey index". High peak pressures increase your chance of a KB. The pressure number for a given load also is an indicator of how much messing around you can do with a load. Each cartridge has a specified max. For example, you need a major load, the fastest in the book is not fast enough, and the pressure listed is right at the max, don't fool with it. However, If you have 10 or 15% you can doctor it a little, but be very careful and watch for pressure signs.