Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unload And Show Clear And Glock

Clay1

The gross motor skill sounds about right. But the slingshot method goes a lot easier with grip tape at the back. It's also the fastest for "load the gun then shoot" stages [unless you have a racker] which I'll stress I do NOT chamber any rounds, dummy or live or unknown while practicing this with a timer. Blue mag or empty mag.

I'm re-thinking my roll-over method because this thread reminded me that the RO can't see the round roll out onto my left foot unless he's expecting it. I take a lot of them by surprise & then they take extra-long to look in my chamber. I still think it's the safest way.

I remember a video of the Burner at ULASC. He held the ejected mag between the fingers of his weak hand as he used his thumb and forefinger to slowly retract the slide while presenting the gun to the RO, and let the round tilt out and fall to the ground between the two of them. I though that was polite, considerate, respectful of the RO and the rules, and probably only possible because he was using an Open gun with something like a 8# recoil spring.

I can see where a good hard tug on the slide might help the extractor get a better bite on the case rim, perhaps even lessening the risk of the round hanging up inside the port (AAMOF, don't Glocks have inertially assisted extractors?). I also can see that a good hard tug might be necessary if you have a 22# spring in there - I can't see myself being able to do what JB does with an entirely stock gun of any type.

But with my guns sprung only to occasionally half that weight, and with grip tape in the cut outs on my 1911 slides where the rear serrations used to be, a steady slow pull to eject the chambered round (with a bit of a roll to the right to drop the round out between me and the RO, then a roll backup), with a slingshot or a under the slide pinch hold to keep it open, works for me.

FWIW, ;)

Kevin C.

I typically flip and catch the round, but after reading the explanation that Jim Linch posted in the thread Flex linked to above about why the last round 'racked' out of a gun without a magazine insterted is more likely to fall out from under the extractor claw and hit the ejector, I think I'll quit doing that.

That was my big problem with the 'no flip' thing, how was it more dangerous than just ejecting a round on a malf clearance? Looks like it is, and there's a reasonable explanation for why it is, so enough of that.

- Gabe

Gabe, thanks for the link on the flipping the round. Jim Lynch's explaination and pictures really added some meat to the discussion. What surprises me is that I have been to many matches and no one has ever mentioned this. I'm an SO and nothing was ever brought up in the training for that either.

I know that many on this board don't like to repeat discussions that have gone on before, but bringing these types of things to the light every once in a while sure does help all of us newbies. Look back at your last match. Of all of the competitors you see how many of them are relatively new? How many have less than two seasons under their belt? It's good to go over this stuff once in a while.

Thanks for the link Gabe. So now that you have stopped flipping - how do you grab the slide?