Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

H4895 and 69 Nosler CC Load?

Religious Shooter

I have about a 1000 69 Nosler CC's and H4895.  For those that worked up loads... what charge gave you the best result accuracy wise?  what charge weight did you choose?  What did you think/find was your max charge?  Type of chamber you have?  Primers, cases, OAL you used etc?

Thanks.

I've had good performance out of an 18" mid-length JP barrel, Wylde chamber, 1 in 8 twist, with the following formula:

• 23.8 grains of H4895
  • LC Brass
  • WSR Primers
  • OAL = 2.248

The average size of 13 (spread over 14 months) 5-shot groups at 100 and 200 yards is 1.2 MOA, using a 5X scope.  YMMV.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, not for 69's, but I have shot quite a few Nosler 77's through my 18" Criterion with 1-8 twist and .223 Wylde chamber.  It settled in around 23.5gr of H4895 and from memory was running in the mid 2700's.  LC once fired cases and CCI 41 or Rem 7 1/2 or CCI 450, loaded to 2.260, I shot about 2k of them and ran low on that powder during the hard times.  I scored some 8208XBR and found a good load, so I made the switch to it.  I found that it meters better, but does run at a higher PSI rating than the H4895.  Both are temp stable.

A lot of people really try to push their LR bullets fast, because velocity is king in the Long Range world, but you really have to tailor each load specifically to a gun.  Most of those heavier bullets will run very accurately in the mid 2600's out of just about any rifle.  Unless you are pushing past the 500 yard mark, your not going to see much difference on your data and your gun will live a longer happier life if your ammo is a little more in the medium range.