Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 and Giraud Trimmer Process

Ponce

I am trying to decide if I want to go with a RT 1500 or a Giraud trimmer primarily for 5.56. 
My plans are to de-prime, wet tumble, size, swage, trim, then reload. Would there be any use using the M die in station 1 on the reloading step after using the Girard trimmer.
I still am torn between the Girard and the RT 1500. I am leaning towards the Giraud since I also load 308 and 7MM ultra mag and would get the trimmer heads for them as well.

Any feed back and recommendations would be appreciated.

How many do you intend to process?

Although the trim quality of the Giraud is superior to the RT1500 (trims/chamfers/deburrs) if you are processing thousands of rounds you will tire of the Giraud after a couple hours. 

I have both, and use the Giraud with all precision rifle brass.  I use the RT1500 on 1050 processing heads for all 5.56, .308, and .300BO.  I do use the Giraud for all my Lapua brass, however, but those don't get shot out of gas guns.

Both are excellent solutions.  If you use SS pins for cleaning, then by using the  RT1500 the tumbling will remove the burrs but may also peen the case mouths somewhat.  For plinking rounds I would not worry.  They are accurate enough.  My .308's that I process this way give me .75 MOA out of an LMT gas gun and chrome barrel.  5.56 plinker rounds are MOA which for me is good enough.

If you shoot bolt guns and load for accuracy, then I would go with the Giraud with spare blades and holders for each caliber.