Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sticky Gen 4 Dawson Magwell with Taran Baseplate Mods

Frankly

I'm trapped in New York and forced to use 10-round Glock magazines on a Gen 4 G17 frame... now I have six 10-round Glock mags with Taran Tactical 0+ weighted baseplates. I also have XL hands and strongly prefer using the large backstrap... so I got a Dawson ICE magwell that fits (since they make models designed to accept backstaps).

Except now some of my mags won't drop freely. I just got back from test shooting and think they are hanging up on the Dawson but not quite sure where....

Before I attack the magwell with my Dremel has anyone been in this position and what did you do? Or should I be polishing the mags? I know fancier guns require magazine tuning but I thought Glocks were pretty loose and consistent as is.

Edited by Frankly

Been there. Feel your pain. Start by taking a mag and sticking it into the gun backwards. It won't go in all the way. Don't jam it in there hard right away or you won't get it out. Push it in slowly and make sure you can pull it out. If you shove it in there a few times then try the mag the normal way it might drop free. Worked for me.

Also wipe the mag bodies with a silicone cloth.

Edited by darkvibe

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, for future reference I attacked the junction between the Glock and magwell with file and stone, that helped the most. Then a little silicon. 6 out of 7 mags drop freely, one still hangs. Might try a different mag release but I'm gtg.