Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Take Up

Flyin40

How is the best way to get rid of trigger take up??? I have quite a bit and would like to get rid of some of it. I just played around with the sear spring, the left arm I bent alittle to lighten the pull and right arm to make the grip safety disengage easier and also put a lighter mainspring in the gun. I have about 2 3/4 lbs pull compared to the 4lb I was shooting.

What do I need to watch for since I bent the left sear spring??? I know just put 1 or 2 in the mag starting out but anything else?

Flyin40

When setting sear spring tension, your pre travel tension should be about 1/3 of the total trigger weight. This can be measured by using your trigger spring scale and pulling on trigger and stopping just before the trigger/disconnector contact the sear, it is a little tricky but if you try it a couple of times you can figure it out.

2 3/4 = 44 oz...... so pre travel should be 14-15 oz., anywhere between 12 and 16 oz. will work, the lower the total trigger weight the more exact this needs to be, when get to 2 lb or below it needs to be exactly 1/3. Oh, and you adjust this tension with the center leaf.

What kind of gun/trigger are we talking about, some triggers have a tab on the front left area of the bow that can be bent forward to reduce the pre travel, if yours doesn't have this you can (very carefully) make 2 vertical slits on the bow so that you now have a tab to bend, I've seen one done that worked just fine but didn't have alot of meat left on the bow.

Another option is to drill a hole through the frame (or grip) and install a set screw that will contact the trigger bow in the left front area, very precise and easy adjustment compared to R&R trigger to bend tab. I wouldn't have a problem doing this to a plastic grip but I don't think I could do it to a metal frame.

I adjusted the tab so I had no take up in the trigger. After I couple of days messing with it I found I like a little take up in the trigger and bent the tab back some. I really like the feel of the trigger now.

Flyin40