Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suppressor Idea - Already been tried?

Chriznak

Has anyone heard of or done this themselves?

Running subsonic ammo

seal off the muzzle end of a suppressor with a balloon or condom

fill can & barrel with non-oxygen gas like nitrogen, helium, xenon etc

chamber a round to prevent gas from escaping through breech

will this prevent 1st round pop?

will this reduce decibel signature?

related:

does a balloon or condom & chambered round prevent water from entering barrel & suppressor if gun is submerged?

Interesting. I've never tried it, but I suggest that it would work. My reasoning... subsequent shots fired don't have the pop because the system is full of gas that's been spent. What you suggest pre charges the system with similar gas that can't support the pop. I've never heard the pop that has been described by others so I can't test it. I suspect there is a mechanism, as yet unknown, that prevents it from happening in some systems (to include gun, can, and load).

Regarding the water. Well, it all depends on what submerged means. The breech end isn't sealed until the cartridge is fired and then only for a split second. So water will get in there. If water in the can is an issue get one that can be run wet and don't fret about it any more would be my advice.

its been talked about, but you really don't have a true air tight system anyway. The only seal you get is when the cartridge is fired and the brass expands to seal against the chamber wall.

first round pop isn't all that bad. If you wish to see how it sounds go stand downrange and off to the side of the firing line and have someone shoot down range. You will hear the round pass you (if supersonic) and if its any half decent suppressor you won't hear anything from the gun.