Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S1050 and Redding Comp Seater die for 308 possible?

As the title states, does the Redding National Match die with mic and sleeve work for loading 308 on a S1050 or will I have clearance issues with the sliding sleeve? Thinking I should have ordered the Dillon die set when I got the caliber conversion kit.

I know it works fine on .223, but not sure if 308 will clear it as it advances. I've had the Redding dies for a while and have not loaded 308 yet but fixing to.

Would like to know so I can order the Dillon dies if necessary. (I'm overseas so I can't check until Saturday)

Thanks!

Edited by chrishoesel

I had to cut the sleeve flush with the die body, otherwise the bullet interferes as the shellplate starts to advance.

I am very happy with the Redding comp seater on my S1050 though; I wouldn't use anything else.

The photo shows a Sierra 2156 just clearing the die; the mic is wound almost all the way down, so you don't get a huge range of adjustment. Of course, you could back the die out but then the case wouldn't properly engage on the shoulder of the sliding sleeve.

VA2H6613.jpg

I cut the sleeve of mine partially to keep it functioning as intended. I was a bit afraid it would spin around and block the projectiles, but that hasn't happened so far.

post-6746-0-48448800-1464308264_thumb.jp

post-6746-0-80143800-1464308280_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

I cut the sleeve of mine partially to keep it functioning as intended.

I'm curious why you would leave an uneven portion of the sleeve like that.

Is that what you mean by 'functioning as intended' ? If so, how does it function more 'as intended' than cutting it all the way round?

So it still hits the shellplate and slides up in the die

I always thought that the sleeve should be operated by the case (specifically, the case shoulder against the shoulder in the sleeve), ensuring positive location, concentricity etc. If the sleeve is driven by the shellplate then the case isn't necessarily even in contact with the sleeve and guided by it, so you might as well use a standard/sleeveless die. In other words, if the sleeve contacts the shell-holder/shellplate when a case is present, the die isn't adjusted properly. Consequently: fully cutting down the sleeve retains the intended function.