Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SLR Helix Mlok Handguard?

shaun1826

I really like the weight and looks of this handguard, but am having trouble finding many people that have had hands on experience with it or many reviews written on it. If anyone has used this specific handguard, how does it feel on the hands? Is it overly rough or the holes to large allowing you fingers to poke inside? I'm looking at the 13.7" to put cover a 16" barrel.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by shaun1826

Wouldn't call it rough, though it the holes ARE larger than say the SLR Ion rail. Never poked my fingers through while grasping it with a c-clamp style support grip. I have the 13.7" on my 18" weight-weenie rifle and I quite like it.

I have small hands, for reference would fit in a Men's size small. I have a Helix there are no rough edges, even on the small parts of picatinny rail. Everything is very smooth. I could poke my pinky through if I tried, I don't expect that to happen while shooting, and for most people with average sized hands it would be completely impossible. Hope that helps.

I have small hands, for reference would fit in a Men's size small. I have a Helix there are no rough edges, even on the small parts of picatinny rail. Everything is very smooth. I could poke my pinky through if I tried, I don't expect that to happen while shooting, and for most people with average sized hands it would be completely impossible. Hope that helps.

Thanks. This seals the deal for me.

Yeah, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I actually had one ordered. Saw you post and kinda thought I maybe made a mistake as I didn't even consider the holes maybe being TOO BIG.

Got the handguard today and I don't think many people will have an issue with the holes. I've got skinny long fingers and I would have to actively try to get my pinky in there... maybe if it lined up perfectly.

Seems great though, machining is very nice, super light, no sharp edges really. It's not the most comfortable but it's certainly not uncomfortable.

I have the Helix and the Solo Lite. I much prefer the Solo Lite. To me, the Helix does have some sharp edges and isn't as comfortable. Also the guys at SLR, who are local to me, say the helix isn't nearly as rugged as the Solo and repeated abuse such as throwing the rifle into dump barrels could become an issue.

sbr_zpshtopqqfn.jpg

I thought I would give some feedback on the SLR Helix 13.7 Keymod, since I got it in today and couldn't find much in way of a review on it. So if others are debating this rail, hopefully this will help.

First, it is absolutely beautiful and extremely light! The machine work and finish on it are top notch. There are no sharp edges on the rail, unless you count the corners of the picatinny.

You are NOT going to be sticking your fingers through the holes in the rail unless you have very small fingers. I wear a Large glove size, but even if you were small or medium, I think you would have to be intentionally trying to get your fingers through the holes. For reference, the diameter of the keymod hole is the same width as the vertical rectangular slots. And if your using a C clamp type grip, your fingers are angled to the vertical slots a little anyway.

The rail is quite comfortable. I read that some people thought it was cheese grater like. I can kind of see what they meant by it, but it is not at all uncomfortable. In fact, I would compare it to more like stippling. As you grip the rail, your skin molds into the slots in the rail, but it feels quite comfortable as there are no sharp edges. I really think this will be an advantage, especially when it is really hot and your hands are sweating. As your skin pokes into the holes in the rail, it helps your grip alot.

Time will tell if this rail will be durable enough for 3 gun, but my initial impression is that it will be fine. The end of your muzzle device and barrel should be taking the brunt of barrel dumps.