Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Safety Disengaged

jimstc

The weather in Indiana today is cold and windy with rain and snow, so I got out my Kuhnhausen Shop Manual and proceeded to strip my Baer PII 45 cal (never done this before). After about three hours of confusion and moderate expletives I got it back together with no extra parts. Problem is the grip safety doesn't work. So, I thought hell I have another Baer PII(9x23) so let's take it apart and look at it. Um.. got it back together and the grip safety doesn't work on it either. Started to see a trend here. Took both guns out back and ran 10 rounds through each and they ran fine.

Anyone have any insight into why it happened to both or either guns? I decided to keep my day job and not try gunsmithing.

Thanks,

Jim

The only question I have is; Did you check to see if the grip saftey actually was functioning, before disassembly? Also, is there enough spring pressure on the grip safety to cam it down behind the trigger bow? Does the safety move freely?

Ray

The only question I have is;  Did you check to see if the grip saftey actually was functioning, before disassembly? Also, is there enough spring pressure on the grip safety to cam it down behind the trigger bow? Does the safety move freely?

Ray

Ray,

The grip safety did work before disassembly. Being a gunsmith dummy it does seem that there is sufficient spring pressure. The safety does move freely.

Thanks,

Jim

Oh Oh Sounds like you got the forking spring under the jigafobus, and I amagin the trigger don't work for snot eather.

Or to put it in a more intelligent manor when you slid the main spring housing back into place did you have the hammer strut and trigger bow in the proper position? If not the grip safety won't work and most of the time the the trigger won't disengage eather.

Is the bottom tab of the GS "trapped" by the mainspring tunnel in the mainspring housing? You don't have the tab trapped behind the mainspring housing do you? That would force the arm up and cause the problem you describe. Did it take an inordinate amount of force to put the mainspring housing back in? The GS should just drop right back in, and function correctly.

Ray

Oh Oh Sounds like you got the forking spring under the jigafobus, and I amagin the trigger don't work for snot eather.

Or to put it in a more intelligent manor when you slid the main spring housing back into place did you have the hammer strut and trigger bow in the proper position? If not the grip safety won't work and most of the time the the trigger won't disengage eather.

The hammer strut is making contact with the main spring. I don't know what a trigger bow is? Should have left this to someone more competent than me.

Is the bottom tab of the GS "trapped"  by the mainspring tunnel in the mainspring housing? You don't have the tab trapped behind the mainspring housing do you? That would force the arm up and cause the problem you describe. Did it take an inordinate amount of force to put the mainspring housing back in? The GS should just drop right back in, and function correctly.

Ray

You may be right about trapping the GS and it did take an inordinate amount of force to put the mainspring housing back in. I am going to have some coffee and try this again.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes.

Jim

Jim,

It's also easier to have the hammer in the "dropped" position against the the slide, when you are putting the mainspring housing back in. This takes away the spring pressure that is put on the hammer strut. I put in the mainspring housing first, and the place the grip safety in, then cock the hammer, and put the thumb safety in.

Ray

Jim,

It's also easier to have the hammer in the "dropped" position against the the slide, when you are putting the mainspring housing back in. This takes away the spring pressure that is put on the hammer strut. I put in the mainspring housing first, and the place the grip safety in, then cock the hammer, and put the thumb safety in.

Ray

Ray,

I surrender. Today I have taken it apart and put it back together six times and now the trigger won't even engage.I guess I'll be seeing a gunsmith tomorrow.

Here's what I have been doing:

The sear, disconnector,mag release and trigger have stayed in the gun today. Everything else has been removed and replaced. When reassembling I install the the hammer and strut. I then install the sear spring. Next I install the main spring housing enough to secure the sear spring.I then install the grip safety and the thumb safety. Finally I finish installing the MSH with the trigger dropped against the frame.

I tried your order of reassembly but couldn't get the trigger to cock back to install the grip safety and thumb safety. (probably due to my inexperience)

Jim

Jim,

Try it once more. The flat piece of metal you see that is horizontal in the frame, is the trigger bow. With the frame pointed "forward" (just like you would normally grip it), the disconnector will be on the close side of the trigger bow. ie. you will see, the disconnector/ sear then the trigger bow behind it. Next put the sear spring in, being careful to trap the left leg of the spring against the sear, the middle leaf will ride against the disconnector. Put the mainspring in enough to hold the sear spring secure. Install the hammer and strut. Now push the mainspring all the way in, and pin it. You will now be able to see through the cut out for the GS and see how everything works. Try to cock the hammer. If it won't something is wrong. If it does, with the slide on the frame, try pulling the trigger, the hammer should drop. If all that works you're in good shape. Now, cock the hammer, put the GS in place, make sure the hammer strut is in the channel of the GS. Now install the thumb safety. You should not be able to pull the trigger without depressing the safety, the arm on the GS should block the trigger bow from moving.

Ray

Jim,

Try it once more. The flat piece of metal you see that is horizontal in the frame, is the trigger bow. With the frame pointed "forward" (just like you would normally grip it), the disconnector will be on the close side of the trigger bow. ie. you will see, the disconnector/ sear then the trigger bow behind it. Next put the sear spring in, being careful to trap the left leg of the spring against the sear, the middle leaf will ride against the disconnector. Put the mainspring in enough to hold the sear spring secure. Install the hammer and strut. Now push the mainspring all the way in, and pin it. You will now be able to see through the cut out for the GS and see how everything works. Try to cock the hammer. If it won't something is wrong. If it does, with the slide on the frame, try pulling the trigger, the hammer should drop. If all that works you're in good shape. Now, cock the hammer, put the GS in place, make sure the hammer strut is in the channel of the GS. Now install the thumb safety. You should not be able to pull the trigger without depressing the safety, the arm on the GS should block the trigger bow from moving.

Ray

Ray,

The trigger bow and the disconnector/sear are aligned as you say they should. When I put in the sear spring, the left leg( which has a 90 degree bend on the top) fits over the trigger bow and the middle leg fits under the disconnector. I installed the sear spring and secured it with the MSH by pushing up about half way. If I push the MSH in all the way at this point I can't get the GS in. The hammer is cocking now but the trigger won't engage. I have read and reread the pertinent shop manual sections and everything looks as they should but the gun won't run.

I must be missing something.

Jim

Theres your problem... the left leg fits on the back of the left side of sear, not on trigger bow.... center leg fits on back of the sloped portion of the disconnector, not under.... slide the MSH up part way like you're doing, then right leg will fit under the grip safety when installed. Be careful the Sear spring doesn't "jump" or twist out of position. Put the pin in the MSH before trying to cock it or anything. Give that a try.

Ray,

The trigger bow and the disconnector/sear are aligned as you say they should. When I put in the sear spring, the left leg( which has a 90 degree bend on the top) fits over the trigger bow and the middle leg fits under the disconnector. I installed the sear spring and secured it with the MSH by pushing up about half way. If I push the MSH in all the way at this point I can't get the GS in. The hammer is cocking now but the trigger won't engage. I have read and reread the pertinent shop manual sections and everything looks as they should but the gun won't run.

I must be missing something.

Jim

Thanks to everyone for all the help. As I was pondering my dilemma I noticed a crack in the frame inside the mag well. I bagged up the gun and will be calling Baer on Monday.

Thanks,

Jim