Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Over 40 Can't See Front Sights Any More

cking

I used to laugh at old shooters who couldn't see the front sights any more.

Now I can't see the front sights any more. Wear progressive lenses. Its oK but you can't find the sweet spot when you need it.

So I changed to fix focus lenses that focused on front sight for dominant eye and other eye has infinity focus.

It helped shooting steel, but I just can't see my holes in the targets as fast as I used to be able to. I guess having the brain switch from dominant eye to other is little slow.

So I fiddled with the rear sight on AR allow me to select a aperture size that sharpens the front sight. It works good. However it used the large aperture hole in my rear sight. So Now I don't have large hole to use on close stages and have trouble skipping targets because you have no field of view. Plus as light varies ideal size hole varies.

JP sells an expensive Palmer rear sight, that you can put the Merit disc in. Now you got a variable size hole. Works good

So here is my question, would you over 40 guys buy a widge-it that allows you to put a Merit disc on rear sight of AR with no modifications to gun or sight and no disassemble required????? Also it would be cheap under $20.00

Thanks for reading

I too have had this issue (cateract surgery at 44), and I for the same glasses trick that you did. It makes it tough to see targets set against similar backgrounds at 200 yards and up, so some intermediate script might be better. I gave up and went Tactical Class with a Simmons ProDiamond 1.5-5x 20mm.

I shot High Power in the early 80's with a bolt gun and had the Merit aperature in it. It was trouble free, and allowed me to adjust quickly on the line. I do not think that I would use it on the M16A2 sight - it will be too far aft and most of us will find that it eats eyeglass lenses.

Another option is a diopter rear sight from Bob Jones (www.bobjonessights.com). He will set you up with as little or as much diopter as you find necessary and several aperatures too. The aperatures swap out easily, but you could only do that in between stages.

Now, why are you talking about seeing bullet holes? Call your shots and fire makeups when your calls indicate a need for them. Looking to see the bullet holes is waiting when you should already know and be shooting the next shot. I know, it is nice to have a solid confirmation... The fast way is to know where it went and already be on to the next shot, whether it be the next target or the makeup shot. That way you also focus on the next shot, not the last one, which you can not change anyway...

Billski

post-4565-1114450299_thumb.jpgMerit makes a model called the hunter which is only 1/2 inch in diameter and fits completely inside the A2 sight channel and doesn't extend past handle in rear which keeps you from dinging your glasses on it.

I use the nose to the recharge handle position. Helps me find the sweet spot fast.

So what the widget does is mount the Merit hunting disc in the 200 aperture of standard AR sight.

Here is the brownells discription and pic

Mfr: MERIT

Adjustable Aperture Eyepiece Sized For Hunting Sights

Compact, adjustable receiver sight discs give choice of iris openings from .025" to .155" diameter. External "click" spring