Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Harbor Freight Trailers

I'm looking at a trailer from Harbor Freight so I can mount my stolen (from Bill Sahlberg) plate rack on it and drive it around in public.

The trailer

Anybody have one of these? My buddy told me to stay way far away from the dinky ones with the toy tires, so I'm considering this one. I know exactly squat about trailers, so any experience/advice would be appreciated.

And yes, I am aware that MGM sells a dedicated plate rack trailer, but I would prefer to have a flatbed version that I could use to haul other range equipment and use for other purposes. I'm buying the plates to rebuild my rack from MGM, so please don't write to inform me of how I'm shafting Mike Gibson. Thanks.

Owned that EXACT trailer from Harbor Freight and it is a GREAT product that served me well for 2 years before I sold it. Arrives on a truck. Made in China.

The directions were a laugh; translated from Chinese, they state "sew middle rail A to side rail C & D" instead of "bolt together".

Funniest part was: "Assembly time: 2 hrs"

Well, it may take a whole crew of Chinese prison laborers 2 hours but it took me most of a weekend with hand tools. If you can borrow an electric impact gun, it will go together a lot quicker.

Suggestions:

1)the little sheet metal clips to hold the wires in place for the lights have sharp edges & can eventually short out the lights; use zip ties instead.

2) get a spare 12" wheel

3) Use a 1/2" piece of pressure treated ply wood for the deck. And grip tape in case it rains.

4)Likely overkill, but I put "Bearing Buddies" & high quality US wheel grease on my wheel bearings.

I put a LOT of miles on mine carring my 500 lbs of race bike & spares box to places like Summit Point, Nelson Ledges, Road Atlanta, Gingerman, etc. -all from then home base of Buffalo, NY. It will easily carry 2 bikes (about 1000 lbs).

Regards, D.

If you are going to take it out on public streets I would rethink the no siderails.

Uhhhh.....do you actually think I didn't plan to bolt the rack to the trailer....?

Never mind, I think I already know the answer. ;)

Duhhh - you know how dense I am. I guess it was the "that I could use to haul other range equipment and use for other purposes." comment that fooled me. :blink:

Ever once in a while I have had stuff fall from one of my farm trailers and go bouncing down the highway. Never had anyone chase me down and point out the dents on their car - yet....But, it could happen so I still worry. Figured it would be even more likely to happen with a flat bed. Looks to me like the one you are thinking of would be fine for occasional use.

Harbor Freight's headquarters is just a couple of miles from my house in Camarillo. I've had one of their trailers and it seemed to hold up fine. Mine was a small wheel, which I was a little leary of, but it did just fine. I pulled it behind my truck camper all through the Sierra's. Some of their stuff is junk, (Tools and precision equip like mills) but I bought an air compressor and a variety of things from them. The Compressor is over 10 years old and never gave me a problem They do guarantee their stuff and have good parts service. The Bearing Buddies are a good idea.

They make a spare. I recommend one.

Steve

Ever once in a while I have had stuff fall from one of my farm trailers and go bouncing down the highway. Never had anyone chase me down and point out the dents on their car - yet....But, it could happen so I still worry.

What good is being an insurance adjuster, if you can't adjust your own problems into oblivion? :lol::lol: