Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Range and Matches North of Houston, Texas

I guess I could post this in "Things I Like" but what the heck, here goes.

A new high end indoor range and gun shoo (and more) opened recently just north of The Woodlands, Texas.

Its only 5 minutes from the house but I never took the time to drop by and see what they offer. I'll bet a lot of folks, even the locals, do not know what goes on there. I found out by checking the FB account of another range to see their match schedule and found mention of this facility.

Turns out they offer a lot. But what got me going is their Sunday evening matches. Last month they began offering "outlaw" matches consisting of 3 or 4 stages. I checked Practiscore and saw they have a nice turnout (looks like they average around 50 shooters) and based on points, round count was reasonable. Plan on at least 100 rds.

Although its billed as "outlaw", all targets are USPSA metrics and they are trying to follow the USPSA rulebook. I spoke with one of the instructors and Chris indicated their plans are to get everything up and running smoothly then join the ranks of the USPSA clubs here in the Texas South Section.

I'd been itching to do a little shooting but due to the recent rains (actually widespread flooding) getting to my practice range would have probably meant a mile walk once my truck got stuck in the mud. With the forecast of more of the same for the next week, I decided to give Saddle River Range a try.

Turnout was a little low last night (29 shooters) but considering it was raining when I got to the range, that was not a big surprise. The match consisted of three USPSA style pistol stages (82 rds total if you don't miss) plus a bonus 28 rd rifle stage. I'd never seen an indoor rifle range so I came a little unprepared. The nice folks in my squad offered me the use of their rifles, but being stubborn I shot the stage with my pistol. (Turns out one of the rifles offered to me was a suppressed 9mm SBR. The next time Julie offers, I will accept.)

The bays where much wider than I expected which allowed quite a bit of movement. Shots ranged from around 4 yards to close to 20 yards. All stages are nicely laid out and pretty close to USPSA legal. (That will improve as they get more familiar with the rules.)

Summary, great facility with nice stages and a fun group to shoot with. Anyone looking for me late Sundays now knows where to find me.

Bill

http://www.saddleriverrange.com

Edited by Flatland Shooter