Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb rest vs no thumb rest (*thumb rest [generic]*)

3djedi

One came with my custom gun but I haven't tried it yet. Been using the standard slide release. I was worried about it screwing up my grip and driving the pistol with my thumb. I'm sure it would screw up any other pistol I picked up.....

So, what's your opinion of a *thumb rest [generic]*? Do you use one and would you recommend it?

Are you happy with how you shoot without it?

If yes scrap it.

I use one, it is more about helping me with a consistent index than anything.

The super star guys may tell you it is a crutch and you suck if you use one.

Just go with what makes you happy.

Edited by Ultimo-Hombre

I went to the range yesterday to break in my new .40 pistol I plan to use for limited. I used my phone to take a slow motion video while I shot from a rest. When I reviewed the video and moved frame by frame I could see my thumb on my weak hand was really failing to keep engagement on the frame. Now, the shooting position I was using was not ideal, I did notice when shooting unsupported as you'd normally shoot in a match the recoil actually seemed much lower, although I wasn't able to capture it on video to review.

I'd like to try a thumb rest to see how it works for me. I may try gluing something on before drilling into my frame though.

5wbcee.png

Edited by 6Liter240Z

My $.02, in the photo above your support hand is not high enough. If you HAD a thumb rest and were shooting at speed with that grip and and a thumb rest you'd be pushing the muzzle all over the place making it even harder to track your front sight. I tend to be in the crutch camp, fix your grip and exercise your thumb so that it doesn't need to rest so much. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you happy with how you shoot without it?

If yes scrap it.

I use one, it is more about helping me with a consistent index than anything.

The super star guys may tell you it is a crutch and you suck if you use one.

Just go with what makes you happy.

Definitely helps obtain a consistent grip