Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CFE Pistol and 185 & 175gr HiTek coated 45 ACP

Kaldor

Gents:

Need to scratch together some load data for some Acme Bullet Co. 185gr and 175gr SWC. I can find plenty of load data for the other powder Im testing which is TiteGroup from Lyman, Hornady, and Hodgdon. The data for CFE Pistol really only exists direct from Hodgdon.

Load data from Hodgon for lead 200gr SWC is there, and Ill use it. 7.4-8.2 for CFE Pistol. Ill set the OAL to max that my gun and magazines will handle, which looks like be right around 1.26" which passes plunk and mag length tests.

Looking at Hodgdons load data, I can see loads for lead 200gr and 155gr. If I look at the spread on the 2 different bullets, I can see the 200's as being 7.4 -8.2. 155s are 7.9 - 8.6. If I look at the way the charge gets higher as the bullet weight drops I came up with this:

200: 7.4 - 8.2

185: 7.6 - 8.3

175: 7.7 - 8.4

165: 7.8 - 8.5

155: 7.9 - 8.6

This kind of bears out, as the weight goes down the profile of the Acmes stays the same, but the driving band gets shorter, which in turn should create less pressure, allowing for a higher charge. See measurements below.

Numbers below read grains, total length, driving band length

200: .616" - .303"

185: .592' - .277"

175: .560" - .246"

The cone of the bullet is consistent at .320" on all of them.

Pic below shows the bullets: 175 - 185 - 200

(For some reason I cant hotlink photos from my Google account here)

Does this make sense? Keep in mind Ill drop a 1/10th or 2 of the top end for my max charge.

I don't get the question. Use the load data provided by hodgdon???? If the oal is longer start in the middle and work up. If shorter start on the low end and work up to your desired velocity. Not rocket science.

I don't get the question. Use the load data provided by hodgdon???? If the oal is longer start in the middle and work up. If shorter start on the low end and work up to your desired velocity. Not rocket science.

That is the problem, only load data for 200 and 155gr SWC's exsists in CFE Pistol. Im just crunching numbers to see what I can come up with.

Thats why I figured:

185: 7.6 - 8.3
175: 7.7 - 8.4
OAL is slightly longer than book.