Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shellplate timing Issue 650

I'm having a timing issue with my 650.. Shellplate isn't aligning properly with the priming punch. In order to get primers straight in pockets i've got to rotate the plate counterclockwise about 1/8th" by hand. I've taken everything down and cleaned thoroughly. Already replaced detent ball spring and tried adjusting cam for index ring but that didnt help. Also tried running shellplatte from a little looser than usual to so tight it will barely rotate and everywhere in between... Any suggestions?

Edited by ark_fireman

Did you loosen or remove the platform? You might need to at least check the alignment. If it's off, loosen it all up, realign with the Dillon alignment tool inserted through your powder die and primer system bore.

alignment%20tool_zpsa8rkwfcd.jpg

Edited by Boxerglocker

Did you loosen or remove the platform? You might need to at least check the alignment. If it's off, loosen it all up, realign with the Dillon alignment tool inserted through your powder die and primer system bore.

alignment%20tool_zpsa8rkwfcd.jpg

I havent removed the platform but will contact Dillon tomorrow about a alignment tool. Got the same input off a facebook forum

You can search about 650 alignment.

I've removed and replace the platform a few times and have just eyeballed it. I have the alignment tool, but IMO it is kind of a PIA t use.

I was thinking it was something i could do a little trial and error on

Have you tried another shell plate? If the ball detents are out of time with the case openings it won't matter how much adjusting you do.

Funny you should sk... I just converted from 556 to 45acp and everything seems to be butter. Thing I cant figure out is i've loaded probably 10K off that 556 shellplate and never had a issue till this past weekend ;/

I bought my 650 in the late 80's or early 90's - don't remember which and too lazy to look at the receipt. Any way, It's been used a lot since then for a lot of different calibers. I was recently decapping some 45 acp brass for a friend, and started having troubles. Started out every 20 cases or so, and got progressively worse. Using the Dillon supplied tool, I realigned the press. Took maybe 15 minutes? Cured everything and it runs as smooth as it ever did. If I have to redo the alignment every 25 years or so, I'll most likely be dead by the next time it needs it. :roflol:

Well you may need an alignment but if it is only happening with that shellplate I would suspect the plate. The underside may just need a good cleaning.

I did a good cleaning on the bottom of the shellplate in the middle of my troubles and it didnt seem to help. Ive got a alignment tool on the way so maybe thats what i need. Will post results