Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trojan rear sight: slide has no hole for elevation screw

Dr Mitch

I got a STI Trojan a few months ago, and I do not care for standard rear sight blades. I have a spare Warren Bomar sight, so I started the work to put it on. Upon removing the factory rear sight, I find that the elevation adjustment screw is going into the sight body instead of the slide. The slide has no threaded hole for the screw as in the typical Bomar-style setup. What gives?

Found the answer on 1911 forum. http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370997

Quote:

Originally Posted by paid4c4 View Post

I have an STI frame/slide kit which came with Bomar rear sight cut and STI front sight cut. I'm considering a Dawson Precision fiber optic sight set. The rear sight says it will fit the Bomar sight cut and there should be a threaded screw hole in the top of the slide in the sight cut. My slide doesn't have the threaded screw hole. Will I be able to use the sight without having the screw hole? I would think the tightness of the dove cut should be tight enough?

STI Rep:

You ARE going to want that threaded screw hole- it doesn't hold the sight in, it allows you to adjust for elevation. We don't drill and tap them here because you're going to want to match it to the sight. Fit the sight into the dovetail, flip the top part forward, and drill it on a drillpress (#31 drill bit). Take the sight off, tap it (6-48 tap) and reinstall & you're all set. (If you're comfortable enough to do it, you don't necessarily have to take it back off to tap it.)

If you have ANY trouble with it or confusion on how to do it just give our Tech Support guys a call and we can walk you through it... 512-819-0656 (ask for Tech Support)

Good luck with your build!

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like every other STI issue I've heard of. "All you have to do is mill out 4 or 5 thou blah blahblah" or "oh yeah, you're just going to need to drill and tap a hole in your brand new gun" or "oh, your Edge is a .40? You need to send it back to us for 3 or 4 months to do some cnc work on your chamber" (true story). I do all my own smithing, but I sure wouldn't expect to NEED to do any drilling and tapping on a new gun. Wow.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...