Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 jamming with 40?

I finally sold my 550 and migrated everything to my long neglected 650. Everything is perfect, but one little thing- with 40, and 40 only out of everything I have tried- it is extremely common for a case too "jam as it drops onto the locator to be shuttled to station 1. The plastic part that pushes the case will simply go halfway and stop- sometimes the case is not inside the rails.

This is not an issue specific to any one brand of brass, either. It is simple to fix by hand ( give it a poke and it generally jumps to attention and goes where it should) but if not paying attention, I raise the ram and absolutely destroy a case on anything from the casefeed body bushing to the side of the sizing die.

I have loaded tens of thousands of 45 and 44 on this machine with no trouble and cranked out tons of 9mm and 357 with the same ease. I just can't figure out what the problem is in this instance. It is a very common issue, but I cannot reliably repeat it- it does not seem to be due to smoothness or speed of stroke, and it does not appear to be based on brass brand.

Ran home at lunch and gave it a shot with a generous (probably too generous) dab of lithium grease under the plate.

Ran 200 pieces through, no problems at all. Looks like that fixed it! Guess it was hopping all over without the grease to absorb some shock.

Thanks!