Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frame/Optic drilling question

Gooldylocks

So I bought a used 2011 a few months ago, and it is having lots of ejection problems (like 1 in 20 FTE). I bought a 90 degree mount and discovered that my frame is not drilled properly (the holes aren't lined up at all with STI/allchin or anything else) when I couldn't get it mounted.

So the way I see it, my options are either:

1) buy an undrilled mount and have it drilled to fit the crazy drilling pattern on the frame. The only real option seems to be the Cheely one, which would be fine with me.

2) have the frame welded and re drilled to STI spec, and use the current mount that I have (allchin X mount)

Would there be any strength concern with having it welded? Which of those choices is likely going to be cheaper?

Thanks in advance.

What mount do you have on there now ? I would just tig weld the holes you won't have any problems with the metal if done right ! I weld on metal thinner than this everyday that have way more pressure tha a frame !

It has an allchin upright, that is drilled to match the crazy pattern (I'm not certain "pattern" is an accurate term, I probably could have done better with my corded hand drill without a vise). So there is no danger of it cracking when it gets redrilled/tapped? That was my biggest concern, tapping it again after welding it up.

Well I decided I might as well just give the gunsmith a call. He said it would be WAY easier and cheaper to just get an undrilled mount and do that, versus welding. No downsides to welding other than the significant increase in time and money. So I guess that answers that question.

Yea he said he has a guy that does all of his TIG welding for him, but he said that he would have to give it to him to be welded, get it back from him, then he would have to sand everything and clean it up, drill, tap, and get it refinished. It is certainly doable, but a pain in the ass.

It's way cheaper to have the mount drilled to the frame. If the frame is welded you have to worry about refinishing it most likely will not match the color of the slide. Drill the mount and everything will work out a lot better for you.

It's way cheaper to have the mount drilled to the frame. If the frame is welded you have to worry about refinishing it most likely will not match the color of the slide. Drill the mount and everything will work out a lot better for you.

The gun is already 2 tone, so I'm not worried about it not matching the slide, but it would still probably look bad if I didn't want to pay the money to get it re chromed...