Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target stands

Flexmoney

I want to make up some bases for some targets stands.  I will likely use some scrap 2x4's.  I have no problem just throwing some together.  

If anyone has a design that they have put some thought into though...love to hear it.  I'd like to keep it pretty simple.

Best I've seen so far made with 2x4s goes like this. Use two pieces about 2 to 2.5 feet long as your ends between cut two more the width of a target. these then are fastened between the two ends to form an H shape. In between the two middle pieces fasten a piece of 1x2 or 2x2 or what ever you are using to staple the target to, leaving enough at each end for the target stakes to slide into

x                         x

x                         x

x                         x - 2x4

x                         x

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

x  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  x---------inside 1x2 or 2x2

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

x         2x4           x

x                          x

x                          x  

Pat  

(Edited by Pat Harrison at 7:20 am on May 28, 2001)

(Edited by Pat Harrison at 7:20 am on May 28, 2001)

(Edited by Pat Harrison at 7:21 am on May 28, 2001)

Best I've seen so far made with 2x4s goes like this. Use two pieces about 2 to 2.5 feet long as your ends between cut two more the width of a target. these then are fastened between the two ends to form an H shape. In between the two middle pieces fasten a piece of 1x2 or 2x2 or what ever you are using to staple the target to, leaving enough at each end for the target stakes to slide into

Pat,

That is EXACTLY how I planned to make them.  

Is the second part of your post a graphic representation?  I'll have to study it for a while to decipher it.

Thanks.  

• 10 months later...

The best, cheap, target stands I’ve seen are built out of 1 ¼” PVC pipe.  The stand consists of a rectangle approx. 18” wide and 3 feet long.  Cut the 3 foot lengths in half and insert a 1 ¼” “T”.  This “T” will accommodate a 1x2 to staple the target on.  To anchor the stand on a windy day, get 2 large spikes from the hardware store and drill a hole in the middle of the 18” pipe to hammer the spikes through.  These stands cost less than $10 a piece, are extremely light and versatile.