Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IronArcher from noob to ?

IronArcher

Loving the idea of an internet based log to keep me honest, and to keep record of where I came from and how I progress.

At the moment, I have ZERO experience shooting any practical sports.

I purchased my first centerfire semi-auto Just before Christmas 2015.
I have previously owned a centerfire revolver (Ruger Super Redhawks .44 mag w/scope) and a .22 Semi auto (Ruger Mk II Gov Comp Target model, with a red dot) Both were hunting guns. Deer w/the .44 Rabbits w/the .22 (Hitting a rabbit sized target on the move is a bit of a challenge...fun stuff). I also own a couple shotguns (again hunting and a little trap)

So save for a bit of trigger control w/the .22, I have nothing that really prepares me for competition shooting.

My weapon of choice is a Tanfoglio Witness Limited Pro. I am planning on shooting USPSA Production and IDPA SSP...Maybe ESP.

Mods up to this point include upgraded recoil, hammer, plunger, and firing pin springs along with a Hennings firing pin and Dawson front fiber optic front sight. Most trigger parts have been polished save for anything on the hammer and sear.

My first match is scheduled for Jan 31. It will be an indoor IDPA "style" match (not overly concerned about nit picking guns (no box) and concealment garments are rarely used.

Up to this point, I have only been able to shoot at indoor ranges a few times to sight in, and get used to working the gun, as well as dry fire drills.

I'm hoping the dry fire drills keep me from looking like a complete idiot, but I am going to be sure to let the MD, SOs etc know I have never competed before.

I welcome all advice/encouragement/critisism. At this point, at least I know enough to know I don't know what I am doing yet, but at least I can do it safely.

I have been reading as much as possible about the hows and whys of shooting, and the rules as well as watching YouTube vids more often than I should LOL.

A planned outing sure to improve my abilities is either a Day 1 on 1 w/Ben Stoeger or a 2 day (6-12 shooters) class w/Ben. 1 on 1 would be amazing, but cost a lot more and shoot a bit less. The 2 day class suggests bringing 1200+ rounds!

My biggest perceived problem is focusing one the front sight with both eyes open. Being into competitive archery for ever (just local stuff though) we train to blur the sight, and focus on the target. THAT I can do with both eyes open. But with a pistol, I fear I may need a small section of tape on a lens to re-enforce a right eye dominance. Along with that, still developing the muscle memory to get the sight picture before pulling the trigger. I try very hard to be honest with that during dry fire practice, and think it will be a HUGE key to speeding up par times.

For the most part, I will probably update the log weekly with whatever practice and improvements I accomplish as well as matches shot and the results.
I'll yap anytime about questions, and advice given here.

Wish me luck!!!

Edited by IronArcher

Welcome! We are all totally cool people and you'll have a lot of fun. My advice is just have fun and don't worry about competing or trying to improve too rapidly at the beginning. The more experienced shooters, although willing and eager to help don't want to get too bombarded with questions and you can gain more help by just observing until you get to know everyone. Of course, any safety or rule questions should NOT be saved and ALWAYS be cleared up before you shoot.

At any rate, I also might suggest waiting several months before spending a lot of money on a class. Others may have different advice, but I think a class too soon can result in an overwhelming experience for both student and teacher. Once you've had some time to digest initial match performance, watch others, and develop a style of your own then you can take a class. That give you time to figure out what you are looking to accomplish from a class and will also allow the instructor to watch your performance and identify areas of improvement that aren't things like "just make it through the stage without breaking the 180."

One last thing. As a long time archer I was confused about which eye was dominant and honestly feel that many, many years of archery actually caused me to become LEFT eye dominant. I thought I was shooting guns with my right eye, and bows with my left eye. Once I allowed myself to shoot everything with my left eye I got a lot better at guns and didn't have to deal with "training my eyes."

Again, welcome!

Thanx for the advice!

I was kind of on the fence about the expensive classes as well. It's a debate between too much info too fast, vs. getting into good habits/practices BEFORE developing a bunch of bad habits I'll need to re-learn.
Well, mostly that... just getting to shoot with a guy like Stoeger would be really cool too!

B):cheers:

Getting ready for my first match... Ordered new grippier grips....didn't fit, got them exchanged for the "right" grips....Got them today (Saturday....Match is Sunday)...still don't fit.

Not worried about it, but would have like to have them.

Oh well.

Shot my first practical pistol match Sunday (1/31/16).

First stage a blew it by getting 2 procedural errors (penalties) taking 25th place overall and 20th in my class in that stage. (33 shooters, 26 in my class (Production/SSP)).

The 2 procedurals were stopping instead of advancing (got my 4 shots in, but apparently stopped when throwing in a couple rounds of insurance), and an illegal reload (gun wasn't empty....but it should have been....did I put in the wrong mag?!?!?)

Next stage I did much better, no errors and zero down, finishing 6th overall, and 4th in my class.

Finishing the first part of the match 13th overall, and 9th in class.

The 2nd 1/2 was a USPSA style stage, hence scored separately from the 1st 1/2.

That stage I finished 8th overall, and 4th in my real class (production) but was listed in limited as 4th.

Finally, they had a bonus stage IDPA scoring that stage I got 7th overall, and 5th in class.

In the end I did WAY better than expected. Save for my brain fart on the first stage, I was very happy with my performance.

Need more practice doing real live fire to improve my times, but for a first ever time trying it, I can't complain!