Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Syncing Fire 7 tablets to Samsung master

Liberty556

I apologize up front for some fuzzy reccolections of what exactly happened.... "heat of battle" and all....

Just upgraded from Nooks to Fire 7's. First time running Fires.

Created match and imported registration on Samsung tablet while on home network.

Following (match) day went to range, finalized match registration on master tablet, and used different network (pocket router) to sync stage tablets to master.

Only one out of 6 Fire's would sync the new match from the master. ( IIRC the other 5 tablets saw the master tablet, but not the current match - i.e. "no changes" message. Also, the sync code(s) may have been off).

Had to sync remaining 5 stage tablets to first stage tablet.

At end of match, had issues syncing back to master. Not sure exactly... pretty chaotic trying to get it to work.

Returned home, to home network, and was able to get everything to sync successfully. Noticed the sync codes were more "alpha-numeric" than previously...

Are the sync codes created in such a way that changing networks during the whole process can create issues for syncing?

By creating the match on the master tablet on one network, then on a different network syncing up the stage tablets cause problems?

Also, I noticed the the Fire tablets will not auto re-connect to a network that does not have internet access.

Maybe somewhere down in the code this could affect things...?

On the Nooks we had issues during initial syncing of stage tablets to master where we had to reboot and reacquire the wifi network (pocket router), but once wifi was reestablished, we had no syncing problems (manually entering sync codes - refresh/discovery was never very good with the Nooks).

Thanks.

-Doug

First of all, make sure you are running the same app version on all your devices.

I made some fixes in 1.3.8 to help to perform better on wifi without internet access (it used to take couple minutes for device to come back) and some more in 1.3.9. What app version you are running on your devices?

First of all, make sure you are running the same app version on all your devices.

I made some fixes in 1.3.8 to help to perform better on wifi without internet access (it used to take couple minutes for device to come back) and some more in 1.3.9. What app version you are running on your devices?

We are running 1.3.8 on all devices.

1.3.9 not yet available, no?

Edited by Liberty556

The issue is between some Samsung devices and wifi without internet access. Somehow samsungs are trying to resolve device ip addresses (even when direct ip is used) and hang on default timeout (it is couple minutes).

I've tried to improve that in 1.3.8 and then again in 1.3.9. If you'd like to play with 1.3.9 pre-release to see if improves sync for you, email to support@practiscore.com

BTW, it is a good idea to mention word PractiScore somewhere in your post. I monitor for that, but your post is off the grid... I only noticed it by accident. :)

Edited by euxx

The issue is between some Samsung devices and wifi without internet access. Somehow samsungs are trying to resolve device ip addresses (even when direct ip is used) and hang on default timeout (it is couple minutes).

I've tried to improve that in 1.3.8 and then again in 1.3.9. If you'd like to play with 1.3.9 pre-release to see if improves sync for you, email to support@practiscore.com

Will do, thanks.

BTW, it is a good idea to mention word PractiScore somewhere in your post. I monitor for that, but your post is off the grid... I only noticed it by accident. :)

Will do that, too ;)

I thought I had, but probably "edited" it out in the process of re-writing the post in the attempt to articulate my issue...

Good to know regardless.

Thanks.

Updated all devices to Practiscore 1.3.9

Powered up the pocket router.

3 of 6 Fire tablets sync'd to the Samsung master without a hiccup.

The other 3 failed.

The sync code of the Samsung prior to this latest attempt was 6465. After 1.3.9 update and logging onto pocket router network (no internet access) practiscore appended the code to 6465E7A1.

It assigned 6465 to one of the Fire tablets. The Fire tablet with 6465 showed the master tablet as having sync code 6465.....

After 5 or 10 minutes some of the failed tablets refreshed and showed the master tablet with the correct (new) sync code of 6465E7A1, but would still fail "Connection Failed".

In fact, now one of the original 3 Fire tablets that did succeed now fails to connect to the master - so only 2 of the 6 Fire tablets are able to connect with the master.

After typing the above, I am down to only one Fire successfully making the connection.

After refreshing a failing Fire, it now succeeds....

It appears to be a constantly varying condition of alternating success/failure, unfortunately with a minority of tablets finding fleeting success.

After switching all devices over to home network (with internet access), and manually entering new master tablet sync code, all devices synced immediately. With a refresh, all devices promptly listed one another in the sync list. (on the pocket router network refresh rate was slow, device listings were incomplete, and varied from tablet to tablet).

It appears that internet access on the network is the key.

Otherwise at first glance, v. 1.3.9 looks excellent. Liking the sync feature on the main screen. Also when you delete a shooter, they immediately are removed from the listing, rather than needing to leave and come back to the screen to see the change.

Haven't read the change log yet.... looking forward to doing so and giving it a proper shake out at the next match.

Cheers!

Edited by Liberty556

When you see sync code longer than 4 chars it mean the default port was used already. You need to exit the app, open task manager on device and kill PS from there. Then start PS again and you should see a short sync code.

Ok.

I got the short sync code on the Samsung master, but one of the 6 stage tablets shows the same code.

Killing PS from the app manager on either stage tablet or master tablet does not resolve the duplicate sync codes.

Also restarting the master tablet did not work.

Dropping the Samsung master tablet off of the network leaving only the Fire tablets, I was able to easily set up a match on one of the Fire's, and sync them all up without a hitch.

It appears that for some reason, the Samsung tablet does not play nice with the Fire tablets unless the network connection has internet access...?

Looks like I'll be needing to use a Fire tablet for the master.

Edited by Liberty556

The sync code is derived from device ip address. Seeing the same codes is likely related to this issue https://www.net.princeton.edu/android/android-11236-partial-workaround.html

Scroll down to the Procedure section and turn off "keep wifi during sleep" (note that you wont be able to connect and pull from this device when it is in sleep). You may also want to disconnect and "forget" your access point on that device and reconnect again to try to renew dhcp lease.

An alternative could be to assign static ip addresses to all your devices on your wifi router. Or try to get Android 5 installed on your Samsung (may have to check CyanogenMod for your device model).

PS: I also suspect there will be sync issues with new smart sleep mode in Android 6 when it comes to that... by waking up device from sleep will allow to connect.

Edited by euxx

Success!

Forgetting the network on the Samsung, then re--connecting, reset the sync code.

All devices have unique 4 digit sync codes, and all sync with one another successfully.

I went ahead and then gave all devices static ip's, just in case....

I cycled the power on all 6 Fire tablets, reconnected to the network, and a few had old sync codes, but eventually the correct codes for all the Fire tablets appeared. It is nice to now be able to remove (old) devices ( or in my case, duplicate listings with bad sycn codes ) from the sync list of devices - is this new in 1.3.9? The refresh is still a little slow / spotty, but updating the list manually works fine.

Also noticed PS now rotates to either portrait orientation on my Samsung tablet - so now I don't have to "flip" the tablet 180 every time I launch PS :)

It seems I am good to go for the next match.

Thanks for all the help.

-Doug

The sync screen also shows previously found devices (for the same match) and only auto-refreshes them when you switch access point. Otherwise, manual refresh or manually entering sync code adds to the saved device list. Are you saying refresh doesn't find all your devices?

I'll have to verify, but IIRC manual refresh while on the pocket router network finds some but not all devices, or at least it doesn't find them all at once. It either takes some minutes or additional manual refreshes to find all devices.

While on the home network (with internet access) all devices are found immediately.

My recollection is somewhat muddied from between the two different network connections. As I cycled the power, the Fire's would auto reconnect to the home network, not the pocket router....

At the end of my troubleshooting session I ended up "forgetting" the home network from the Fire tablets to avoid future confusion, and also prevent any auto updating of the Fire tablets ( such as the annoying Wall Street Journal app push ).

I'll experiment some more tonight and see what the refresh behavior is like.

I'll have to verify, but IIRC manual refresh while on the pocket router network finds some but not all devices, or at least it doesn't find them all at once. It either takes some minutes or additional manual refreshes to find all devices.

While on the home network (with internet access) all devices are found immediately.

Was that with 1.3.8 or 1.3.9 running on device that does the scan?

Ok...

Powered on all the Fire Tablets, connected to the pocket router.

Samsung master already on pocket network.

4 of the 6 Fires listed all devices, 2 Fires had partial lists.

The Samsung did not find any of the 6 Fire tablets.

Multiple manual refresh did not find additional devices for either the Fires or the Samsung. Tried this for maybe 3 minutes.

The Samsung master was listed in all 6 Fire tablets, so I pulled a match to each Fire.

After doing the pulls, all the Fire tablets showed all devices in the sync list, and the Samsung now found all the Fire tablets.

Edited by Liberty556

"Powered on" as you started PS on those devices? If it was running from before, it may not restart the network listener (it is checked/restarted when you go between screens or on a fresh app start). Though I may need to check that part...

The 6 Fire tablets were off (not sleeping).

I turned on / booted up / restarted each one, then had to manually reconnect to the pocket router, as they don't auto reconnect if no internet connection...

After they all restarted I ran PS on each and started syncing.

Edited by Liberty556